At what point do you replace entire filter vs. parts?

capricatunes

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Minneapolis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Sand Filter: old Hayward S200. I don't know how old. I have a new problem as of today, and I'm wondering if I should just start over...
  1. The PVC intake pipes are welded into the multiport (See pic)
  2. I replaced the spider gasket this year
  3. There is a very slow leak in the multiport pipe that leads into the filter (See pic). I don't know if that's due to multiport, filter, or both. It doesn't seem to be entirely flush, I'm guessing the ground has shifted a bit.
  4. The latest problem: there is water coming out the waste line, no matter the position the valve is in. If I move the port back and forth and press down, I can find just the right spot there the leak to waste is minimal. But, the leak seems persistent.
I took the multiport apart, and my spider gasket has no cracks; but it does seem to be stretched slightly on the waste port.

I'm nervous about trying to replace the whole multiport due to #3 above. I can do the plumbing and all that myself, but I'm worried that my leak into my filter might get worse with a new valve. If it does, then I have to buy a new filter after the fact. Also, I'm worried if I have the PB come out, it might just be cheaper to buy an entirely new filter on INYO or something...

So, are any of you able to provide any recommendations?
A) Try another spider gasket? Seems odd I would need another new one this year.
B) Replace the multiport? Or replace the top assembly?
C) Buy an entirely new filter setup?
D) Get the PB out and have them deal with it?

I plan to have this pool awhile, so I'm just wondering if it would be cheaper in the long run to replace a lot now, vs. part by part (Also less time).

Thank you so much!

IMG_0121.jpg

Last edited:
Well, a replacement MPV is about $150 vs a replacement filter at $650+. You could have a local pool pro replace the valve (takes about an hour) if you're concerned about it leaking. Unless there's a crack somewhere in the filter body, you should be able to get it up and running without any issues.

Reactions: capricatunes
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.