Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello.
I think I will finish slamming soon. Yesterday I dumped 8 gallons and today probably 3-4 gallons and I’ve been brushing!!! (Thanks for the tips!). I opened the pool cover a week ago to clear water (been keeping pump running and adding LC since mid March) and just been keeping FC at around 5. Started slamming yesterday. Today I dosed less Cl than yesterday and didn’t dose any at all before taking my last sample today. I think I will pass the oclt soon maybe tomorrow or next day.

I just had IC40 installed in March but right now has a dummy cell until I am ready to switch. I will be a first time swg user.

1. At what FC level do I replace my dummy cell to SWG? Any tips at what setting i need to set it at initially and how many hours to run it?

2. My pool only get 5 hours on sun (from 10 am - 3 pm) in the beginning of summer and towards late summer it gets lesser hours of sun due to the surrounding trees getting bigger. Is cya 30-50 enough? Pentair manual suggested 30-50 and tfp suggested 60 is the minimum but i just wonder if there is a correlation between time of exposure of pool to sun and needed cya level.

My levels
1. CYA 30-40 aiming FC 16
2. FC - i did not add any more liquid chlorine since 4 pm but my levels went up (i checked every hour)..: from 16.5 at 4 pm to 19 ppm at sunset 8:40 pm (???). I am confused by this reading
3. CC this AM - 1 ppm
4. TA 80 ppm
5. Hardness 180 ppm
6. Salt 3600 ppm (added salt and level checked a week ago)
7. pH before slam- 7.2

There is a inconsistency in the FC levels which only you can figure out. Slam is done when the OCLT is done and the FC didn't drop more then 1ppm and the CC not higher then .5 and you've met all three criteria. The dummy can be switched out at any time just don't turn it on prior to a confirmed finished slam. The CYA will need to be upped to 70 for SWCG efficiency.

With my 27500 gal pool, I have to run my IC40 at 100% about 9 hrs per day to maintain my FC. You have a 20% larger pool, so I'd say start at 11 hours/day and adjust as required.

Thanks all! Will continue slamming again today and see what happens with the FC levels overnight. It was 16.5-ish this morning. I may take samples at several different locations at sunset. CC is already 0.5 ppm or less (i’m using 10 ml sample).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.