(Aspiring) Phoenix Owner-Builders Looking for Sub Recommendations

Hello All:

I’ve been a member of TFP for awhile, but, sadly, my backyard is still a poolless desert wasteland. After a few snags along the way, my husband and I are ready to pull the trigger.

The problem is that the bids that we received from subs going the owner-builder route are three years old, so we have to start from scratch and cost has drastically increased. Some subs are out of business. We tried to contact some smaller builders, but they’re dragging their feet returning bids. If they can’t even come close to timely returning bids, I’m not going to trust them with tens of thousands of dollars and to keep on schedule.

We are back to doing the owner-builder thing. We have the plans, engineering, and permits. Just need suggestions for subs in the Phx area. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sincerely,
HouseFullOfBoys

Re: (Aspiring) Owner-Builders Looking for Sub Recommendations in the Phoenix, AZ Area

I’m in the construction industry. The problem is I build very large hospital projects. The subs I use wouldn’t even get out of bed in the morning for a pool.

‘Your going to find subs are very hard to find right now. I’m sure you are aware of the booming construction market in Phoenix.
My best suggestion is what I am getting ready to do.

‘Get all of your pre-construction work done. I mean DDFD. 100% done with permit in hand. This will reinforce to the trades that you are ready to go. If you are still in the
permit process. Let them know. And forecast out a date. Give them a ballpark date to work with. Pick a date when you get your permit and believe them when they say they can’t make that work. Do what they say they can do.

Think of it this way. If you asked me to run a mile in 5 minutes. I’d say I can’t. But I can walk a mile in 15 minutes.
Believe me I will only commit to what I can do. If you keep nagging or pressing the subs. They will eventually just tell you what you want to hear. You will be disappointed.

Once all of that is ready, research pool excavation companies. They can do the pre-grade (if required) as well as the layout, excavation and haul off. I would suggest going with a licensed and bonded contractor but the choice is yours.

When discussing the excavation and schedule. Believe them when they tell you they can’t start until ....(whatever date they tell you) they are busy. Very busy. Expecting them to have a truck and equipment onsite tomorrow is unrealistic and will most likely get you a higher number. In today’s market, construction companies do not have a bunch of guys sitting around playing poker waiting for someone to call with a project. They are busy. I am currently scheduling out trades 3 months in advance at work. I am also
contracting subs to monthly schedule updates with liquidated damages.

After you you get your excavator under contract and scheduled you should start scheduling the predecessors (plumbing, electrical, rod busters,) and so on.
Im sure your excavator will recommend who to use and if you are reasonable will likely let those trades know.

Patience is is your friend. Knowledge is your ally. Reason is your sanity.

I can guarantee you. When I’m pouring 300 yards of concrete at work every 7 days. And the last truck at the batch plant is either coming to my hospital or a pool. The pool will lose. Even if it was at my pool.

Plan, direct, follow through.

Re: (Aspiring) Owner-Builders Looking for Sub Recommendations in the Phoenix, AZ Area

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such well thought out and insightful suggestions. Much appreciated. I think we are starting to get somewhere and should know within the next few days.

Best of luck to you on your project!

I’m in the construction industry. The problem is I build very large hospital projects. The subs I use wouldn’t even get out of bed in the morning for a pool.

‘Your going to find subs are very hard to find right now. I’m sure you are aware of the booming construction market in Phoenix.
My best suggestion is what I am getting ready to do.

‘Get all of your pre-construction work done. I mean DDFD. 100% done with permit in hand. This will reinforce to the trades that you are ready to go. If you are still in the
permit process. Let them know. And forecast out a date. Give them a ballpark date to work with. Pick a date when you get your permit and believe them when they say they can’t make that work. Do what they say they can do.

Think of it this way. If you asked me to run a mile in 5 minutes. I’d say I can’t. But I can walk a mile in 15 minutes.
Believe me I will only commit to what I can do. If you keep nagging or pressing the subs. They will eventually just tell you what you want to hear. You will be disappointed.

Once all of that is ready, research pool excavation companies. They can do the pre-grade (if required) as well as the layout, excavation and haul off. I would suggest going with a licensed and bonded contractor but the choice is yours.

When discussing the excavation and schedule. Believe them when they tell you they can’t start until ....(whatever date they tell you) they are busy. Very busy. Expecting them to have a truck and equipment onsite tomorrow is unrealistic and will most likely get you a higher number. In today’s market, construction companies do not have a bunch of guys sitting around playing poker waiting for someone to call with a project. They are busy. I am currently scheduling out trades 3 months in advance at work. I am also
contracting subs to monthly schedule updates with liquidated damages.

After you you get your excavator under contract and scheduled you should start scheduling the predecessors (plumbing, electrical, rod busters,) and so on.
Im sure your excavator will recommend who to use and if you are reasonable will likely let those trades know.

Patience is is your friend. Knowledge is your ally. Reason is your sanity.

I can guarantee you. When I’m pouring 300 yards of concrete at work every 7 days. And the last truck at the batch plant is either coming to my hospital or a pool. The pool will lose. Even if it was at my pool.

Plan, direct, follow through.

Thank you. We are all here to help each other.
It will work out and you will have a successful project. Keep us all posted. Everyone loves build threads. Oh yeah. And keep that list of subs handy.

Since I’ve been building some schedules all day. This came to my mind also.

I would make certain to have all of my OFCI (Owner furnished Contrctor installed) equipment and material onsite and ready to go as well.
Pumps, filters, heaters, lights, vendor specific back boxes, etc......

Nothing will drive you more crazy then a random call from your electrician saying “hey, we had a cancellation. We can be there tomorrow”
‘only to be forced to turn them down because your waiting for your NEMA 3 sub panel to be delivered. That can be very frustrating.

I’d make sure you have all of your MEP (mechanical, electrical, plumbing) equipment on site at the time of excavation. The finishes (tile, shells, pavers) should be ordered when excavation starts. Think about creating a procurement log (what you need and when do you need it) This should be part of the preconstruction phase which you are currently in. I’d use the same calendar for the construction schedule. A simple calendar dedicated to your build would work great. With all the technologies and resources I have at work. I always go back to my yearly calendar.

Material procurement can be as challenging as manpower at times. The trick with moving the chess pieces is knowing your next move 5 moves before your last move.
Manpower is worthless without material and equipment.

Sorry if if this is construct knowledge on steroids. It’s what I do and I’m a rare person who loves what I do for work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.