Ash/Smoke from Bushfires affecting SWG Sensor.

UND312DOG

Nov 19, 2019
NSW, Australia
All,

Currently in NSW, Australia we're experiencing some pretty crazy bushfires. I'm not far away from a massive fire front and have been getting alot of burnt leaves, ash and heavy smoke in and around my pool.

Prior to the fires, I slammed my pool and got everything within spec. Pools crystal clear, chemistry on point and running perfectly.

Since the start of these fires I have noticed a change. I have noticed with an increased load of ash and debris ending up in my pool the sensor measuring the Orp has been all over the shop. I have it set at 650mv which usually keeps it around the 4-5ppm range. But with the ash it drops the sensor to around 550mv and the pool starts feeding chlorine gas, ending in my pool being over chlorinated at around 10ppm or more depending on how long I leave it. I have to turn off the chlorinator and wait until it drops back down to 5ppm. Turn it back on, the system settles and depending on how much ash the cycle repeats. Clear days the Orp is stable, ashy days the sensor plays up.

Now the Orp sensor works on the conductivity of the water. And I'm guessing that the ash debris is changing the conductivity of the water, leading to over chlorinating. It's doing my head in.

Anyone have this happen before or is happening?

Cheers.

Firstly I would like to say welcome to the forum and I hope you’ve managed to get through these terrible fires without lose of life, property or neighbourhood amenity.

I would turn your orp sensor off and set your FC dosing schedule manually via your FC tests with that CCL kit. If your going follow the TFP method and bump your CYA up your orp meter will be redundant anyway.

It would be handy if you could add your pools details into your signature, it really helps with advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.