As FC increases, does muriatic acid need decrease?

Kathleen2252

Apr 28, 2021
Los Angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi.
Seems like my muriatic acid requirements have lessened by 75% after raising chlorine maintenance level to 7. CYA is 60.
Does this make sense?
TA- 70
PH - 7.4
FC- 6.8
CC 0.2
CH - 200
CYA - 60
TEMP - 82

Are you using the SWCG to increase FC? Raising FC with a SWCG or liquid chlorine doesn't have any effect on TA or pH, so therefore no change in MA demand. However if you are using trichlor it can decrease the MA need.

No. Still under 28 days on new plaster so am using liquid chlorine 10%. My pH has been 7.4 for 5 days . I had previously been using about 48 oz. per week of MA.
Barely passed chemistry so I'm confused.

Ohhh, I believe new plaster has a higher MA demand in the first 30 days so maybe that is why you are seeing a decrease in MA. I'd have to check the wiki to verify though.

Edit: I couldn't find this info in the wiki. I might be wrong about it. I would wait for a TFP expert to verify.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used to keep my FC at 3-4 and used 6 cups MA weekly religiously with a CYA of 50.
Raised the CYA to 60 and FC to 6-7 on new plaster.
MA is now about 2 cups per week.
It makes me think chlorine levels and MA demand are inversely related???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.