Artificial turf recommendations/tips?

kit2022

Jul 18, 2023
Florida
Hello,

We are building a pool in Florida. It will be inside an aluminum bird cage screen enclosure. We'd like to use artificial turf for the pool deck (besides a 12-18" deep rim of travertine tile directly around the pool).

I'm having trouble selecting an artificial turf and underlayment to use. Ideally, we'd like it to have good drainage and be relatively non-slip and maintenance free. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!!

Hello,

We are building a pool in Florida. It will be inside an aluminum bird cage screen enclosure. We'd like to use artificial turf for the pool deck (besides a 12-18" deep rim of travertine tile directly around the pool).

I'm having trouble selecting an artificial turf and underlayment to use. Ideally, we'd like it to have good drainage and be relatively non-slip and maintenance free. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!!
Probably the largest artificial turf supplier in the U.S. is Synthetic Grass Warehouse, check out their website. Most likely whoever you hire to install your artificial turf will buy it from here. They have many different styles and levels of quality to choose from. Get a fully permiable artificial turf so the water can go through the turf and drain away on the surface below. The heavier the turf, the longer it will last. Pile height is another consideration, for example, typically playgrounds use an 1-1/2" pile turf, putting greens use 1/2" pile turf. Also use an antimicrobial turf infill, it will help prevent mold and bacteria. Our pool is outdoors and I'm covering 1150 s.f. of concrete deck with an 80 oz. 1-5/8" artificial turf, weather permitting they're supposed to start the install on Monday.

Reactions: kit2022
Hi. Unsure of your location in Florida, but we have turf around our pool deck in the Central Florida area. After a good amount of research, we went with Pro Green of Central Florida. We have been pleased with the turf. The installation still looks great after two years and it absolutely drains well. On one side of our pool it runs along the coping. We have had no degradation from the pool water, and it takes direct splashing. Their product is designed to be permeable. However, I am certain that the key to this is the correct base prep. If you are doing it yourself, a good turf that is permeable, such as Pro Green is the direction to go, but don’t skimp on the base. If you go with Pro Green for the installation or just a quote, they will explain to you how they set it up for drainage success. Again, lots of options in Florida. A word of caution, I would steer clear of foreign made turf due to chemical concerns. Pro Green is also made in US. Forever Lawn is also a nice product, but was nearly double the price of Pro Green. Of all the others we looked at, none was as “real” looking as Pro Green and Forever Lawn. Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, happy to try and answer.

We have turf around one side of our pool and it’s called “playground turf”. It’s about 1 inch maybe 1.5 and drainage is good. When selecting, get a sample and hose it down to observe drainage ability. We are happy with it.

Probably the largest artificial turf supplier in the U.S. is Synthetic Grass Warehouse, check out their website. Most likely whoever you hire to install your artificial turf will buy it from here. They have many different styles and levels of quality to choose from. Get a fully permiable artificial turf so the water can go through the turf and drain away on the surface below. The heavier the turf, the longer it will last. Pile height is another consideration, for example, typically playgrounds use an 1-1/2" pile turf, putting greens use 1/2" pile turf. Also use an antimicrobial turf infill, it will help prevent mold and bacteria. Our pool is outdoors and I'm covering 1150 s.f. of concrete deck with an 80 oz. 1-5/8" artificial turf, weather permitting they're supposed to start the install on Monday.
Thank you! Very helpful. I appreciate it.

Hi. Unsure of your location in Florida, but we have turf around our pool deck in the Central Florida area. After a good amount of research, we went with Pro Green of Central Florida. We have been pleased with the turf. The installation still looks great after two years and it absolutely drains well. On one side of our pool it runs along the coping. We have had no degradation from the pool water, and it takes direct splashing. Their product is designed to be permeable. However, I am certain that the key to this is the correct base prep. If you are doing it yourself, a good turf that is permeable, such as Pro Green is the direction to go, but don’t skimp on the base. If you go with Pro Green for the installation or just a quote, they will explain to you how they set it up for drainage success. Again, lots of options in Florida. A word of caution, I would steer clear of foreign made turf due to chemical concerns. Pro Green is also made in US. Forever Lawn is also a nice product, but was nearly double the price of Pro Green. Of all the others we looked at, none was as “real” looking as Pro Green and Forever Lawn. Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, happy to try and answer.
Thank you! Glad your turf is working well for you. Any chance you could post a few pictures?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support