Are you really getting 6% out of Aldi bleach??????

Hate to rehash an older thread, but I too can now attest that with mostly the same variables affecting my pool recently (temp., sunlight, rain, swimmers, etc.) and using Great Value Bleach from Wally World lately ... that it SEEMS as though the Great Value Bleach does hold the FC a little bit better. Not quite the consumption I saw using Aldi Tundra. Just my results ... YMMV :cool:

thepiratemorgan said:
Hate to rehash an older thread, but I too can now attest that with mostly the same variables affecting my pool recently (temp., sunlight, rain, swimmers, etc.) and using Great Value Bleach from Wally World lately ... that it SEEMS as though the Great Value Bleach does hold the FC a little bit better. Not quite the consumption I saw using Aldi Tundra. Just my results ... YMMV :cool:
Yep!! i can still say the samething..I can hold my FC longer & it can drop lower without it clouding up..Since back on it I haven't been having any trouble again....I would love to have other's just try & keep good record's& just see..

Aldi here in Ok went from .99 to $1.19, so I switched to great value which is about the same price. Dollar general also has 6% 182 oz bottles for $2.50

Measure before and after using pool calculator and that will tell you if they are what they say they are.

Walmart also has a cheap brand that is 3% and dollar tree doesn't say what theirs is, but I tried them and they must have been 3% as I didn't meet the target.

x2rider said:
Aldi here in Ok went from .99 to $1.19, so I switched to great value which is about the same price. Dollar general also has 6% 182 oz bottles for $2.50

Measure before and after using pool calculator and that will tell you if they are what they say they are.

Walmart also has a cheap brand that is 3% and dollar tree doesn't say what theirs is, but I tried them and they must have been 3% as I didn't meet the target.
You are missing the point..What I started the thread ..I think the great value hold's fc longer&lower fc without having cc&not getting cloudy.What I am trying to say is in the long run you will use more aldi 6% than Great Value..Just my personal feeling..I have alot less trouble with the great value.

kplaster said:
x2rider said:

You are missing the point..What I started the thread ..I think the great value hold's fc longer&lower fc without having cc&not getting cloudy.What I am trying to say is in the long run you will use more aldi 6% than Great Value..Just my personal feeling..I have alot less trouble with the great value.

Sorry about that.
I guess I meant to say that I started off using Aldi, and when Aldi raised their price, I went with GV to get the bigger jug, and both seemed to match the pool calculator, so I didn't notice that one held longer than the other.

Dollar tree did not measure up to calculator value, and their jugs were not marked as to the content, so I'm guessing they are 3%. I am taking the stance that if it's not marked, it's less than 6%.

I stopped by Lowes tonight, and they don't really have anything that compares that I could verify.
They had something called Red Max that was 182 oz, 6% at $2.98. They had Clorox Ultra 182oz which was 6.15% at $4.47.
They had another bottle of something that said it had "33% More". 33% of what, I don't know (it was ~120oz I think, so I guess that is what it means), as the percentage was not printed on the bottle, it just said it would make 33 gallons. I guess I didn't write the price down on that one.

With the "Pool Store" selling 10% for $7 a gallon, I'll stick with GV or DG (Dollar General sells 182oz of 6% at $2.50).

x2rider said:
Walmart has raised the price of the 182oz jugs to $2.98 :( (No longer cheaper than the Red Max... Until Lowes raises their price)

I've already planned for a SWG for next year.

With my CYA level high, I'm using a jug a day.

Darn, someone is on to us ... I too can confirm here in upsate NY that Walmart Great Value bleach has risen to $2.98 :shock:
Really? A $0.40 increase? Wow ... must be the high demand of us pool boys / girls!! :lol:
Still cheaper than any pool store list of chemicals they want you to buy :roll:
Although my local pool store has 5 gal carboy container of 12.5% Liquid Chlorine for what was a little cheaper than Walmart bleach (comparing double strength of liquid chlorine). May have to reconsider that option now. Never really considered it because of cost (only a bit cheaper) vs. storage and handling of 5 gal. (a little harder than working with 1 1/2 gallon). But it would be more environmentally friendly, no more jugs to "recycle". Uggghhhhh, decisions ... decisions .... :-D

thepiratemorgan said:
x2rider said:
Walmart has raised the price of the 182oz jugs to $2.98 :( (No longer cheaper than the Red Max... Until Lowes raises their price)

I've already planned for a SWG for next year.

With my CYA level high, I'm using a jug a day.

Darn, someone is on to us ... I too can confirm here in upsate NY that Walmart Great Value bleach has risen to $2.98 :shock:
Really? A $0.50 increase? Wow ... must be the high demand of us pool boys / girls.
Still cheaper than any pool store list of chemicals they want you to by. Although my local pool store has 5 gal carboy container of 12.5% Liquid Chlorine for a little cheaper than Walmart bleach (comparing double strength of liquid chlorine). May have to reconsider that option now. Never really considered it because of cost (only a bit cheaper) vs. storage and handling of 5 gal. (a little harder than working with 1 1/2 gallon). But it would be more environmentally friendly, no more jugs to "recycle". Uggghhhhh, decisions ... decisions .... LOL
Laundry detergent has gone up too....By several Dollar's..Ended up getting the Walmart brand..I'n not going to pay that for Detergent..I just have to add a little bleach&Borax since i have plenty..lol

kplaster - I was thinking about that the other day. "Well, I AM using a "laundry booster" for the pool, why not offer up some to the Mrs. for actual laundry usage?". Guess it would help the lesser brand detergents work better. My Mrs. always said the off brands never quite worked as well as "name". If she starts complaining about "name" prices going up, up, up ... I could offer this as a solution. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
x2rider said:
Dollar general also has 6% 182 oz bottles for $2.50

Guess this is another option for me, have one just down the road. But I wonder how the FC will hold up? I swear it seemed as though Walmart FC would hold a little better than Aldi FC. Hmmmm .... maybe an SWG next year for me as well? Then this would be moot I guess.

thepiratemorgan said:
x2rider said:
Dollar general also has 6% 182 oz bottles for $2.50

Guess this is another option for me, have one just down the road. But I wonder how the FC will hold up? I swear it seemed as though Walmart FC would hold a little better than Aldi FC. Hmmmm .... maybe an SWG next year for me as well? Then this would be moot I guess.

Dollar General went from $2.50 to $2.75. The bottle is the same bottle as Walmart. Same size/shape, even the pull tab under the lid is the same, just a different label outside. I'm guessing they come from the same place.

For the "Chlorox brand is better" thinking, I did notice that the "ultra" was just over 6%, not by much, but that could play a role into why it seems to last longer.

I've been using Aldi Tundra all along and my pool is great - no more pink slime has appeared all summer.. our store doesn't sell the Tandil. However they raised the price from 99 cents to $1.19 several weeks ago which is irritating but oh well, I use a bottle every other day now and it's all good.

chessie6 said:
I've been using Aldi Tundra all along and my pool is great - no more pink slime has appeared all summer.. our store doesn't sell the Tandil. However they raised the price from 99 cents to $1.19 several weeks ago which is irritating but oh well, I use a bottle every other day now and it's all good.
I can confirm that their Tundra bleach has gone up to $1.19 as I was there today, not to buy bleach but I had to peak at the price. Dang inflation!! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.