AquaRite t-cell-15 replacement is so confusing with software version

amati5

Sep 13, 2011
So Cal
I have an earlier version AquaRite with RL 1.32 originaly came with T-Cell-15. Recently Hayward told me I need GLX-Cell-15 but it’s hard to find and very expensive despite the only one year warranty. I want to buy the new version W3T-cell-15 (also one year warrant) But it’s cheaper and easier to find. Thing is, neither Hayward or the sellers don’t state clearly which cell work with which software version. Some reviews say it needs at least Rl 1.5 but some say only if you upgrade from a t9 or t3. My controller does not have the function to set the cell size so I think t15 is the only choice, and I don’t need to upgrade the software. But I am not so sure.

if I have to upgrade the software I assume that the only way is to buy a new board which is the GLX-PCB-RITE, and this is all I need? Will it work with my existing display board and the rest of the system?

Every 2-3 yrs my cell died and it has been a difficult task to buy the new one. I understand if you buy from a pool store the cell has a different model number with 3 yrs warrant, and the ones from the internet with different model number has only one yr warranty (many internet seller wrongly put 3 yr on their description) . But even if you buy the one with 3 yr warrant, will Hayward still require if the cell was installed by a pro before they honor the 3 yr. ?

Another twist, the last one I bought was t-cell-15-swp (equivalent from Swimpure line) that supposed to come with 3 yrs warranty but within 2 yrs it started to produce less fc and read salt lower than actual, sign of a failing cell. All previous t-cell-15 last exactly around 3.5 yrs.

i really wanted to look for generic t15 but after reading the threads, nothing stands out as an obvious choice. If I missed something, please let me know.

i appreciate your inputs. My pool is 25k gal

thx

Last edited:
All Hayward cells should be backwards compatible to the control boards. The oldest version I've come across is r1.06. Hayward of course wants you to upgrade to the most current version r1.59 which supposedly solves the current limiter issue. I can only speak for myself (and this is not an ad for my company) but our cells were spec'd to r1.14 and higher. My AquaRite system is r1.32. I'm not 100% sure why other generics require r1.50 as a minimum but it may have something to do with automation or they may have copied it from somewhere else..

Your firmware does not have the option to change the t-cell setting. Only boards r1.50 and higher have this option. Normally I would recommend replacing the display board at the same time as the main PCB board. This eliminates any potential (lack of) connectivity issues between the two boards. The OEM PCB board on Amazon cost $225-$250 ish and the OEM display board is $75-100. The generic PCB costs $150-160 as comparison but the may not be 100% compatible with the cells. You have to read the language closely to make sure you are buying an OEM board.

Yeah, i thought as long as I stick with t15 I shouldn’t have to worry about software compatibility but neither sellers or Hayward provide any confirmation, yet Hayward told me to get the GLX which is not even on their web site anymore.

i did consider Chlorinator Pro since it’s local to me and is one of the suggested generics on here but reading the reviews about the leaks I wanted to do more research.

thx

We do see some leakers sometimes but it almost always due to the user cross threading the unions onto the cell and/or overtightening the unions. Can't tell you how many people tell me they have to use pipe straps or channel lock pliers to remove cells for cleaning.

If the sellers won't respond to even the most basic of questions, imagine how they will respond if you have to file a warranty claim?

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.