East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
System installed late May 2020. Was closed for the winter, started up mid-April. Pool company did not add sufficient salt at startup so mid-May added 350 lbs salt to raise instant salt reading to -3300 (from -2000). Cell is a 940, AquaRite set as T-15. Once I reset the average salt reading a few time, I got it up to 3000 and unit stays on and seems to function. Came back after evening shutdown and unit had shut off for low salt and average reading back at 2000. I looked at instant salt and it is still -3300 most of the time, but periodically it reads -0. I am not sure what provokes it to decrease or what teh decrease shows. When I reset unit (turning switch from auto to off to auto), it returns to -3300.

General cell readings (when working):
Temp: 90 (pool is actually 80 but heater is on, warming to 83)
Voltage: 25.9
Amperage: 6.87
Output: 100P
Instant salt: -3100
Program code: AL-0
Revision: r 1.59

Any ideas what might be happening? As I said, unit is just less than a year old. It is working now and has been since I reset 4 hours ago.

The percentage setting cycles the unit over a 180 minute period. So it is normal (if set less than 100%), when you catch it during the pause portion of this cycle to not have instant salt or other normal operation readings.

The percentage setting cycles the unit over a 180 minute period. So it is normal (if set less than 100%), when you catch it during the pause portion of this cycle to not have instant salt or other normal operation readings.
Actually, after monitoring carefully for 48 hours, it seems what is happening as follows. When the system first comes on for the day, the average salt reading is 0. So after running for about 45 seconds with instant salt at -3300, it shuts down (check salt and inspect cell lights on). I reset by cycling switch from auto to off and back to auto. It cycles again and cuts off with average salt 1300. One more cycle and average salt at 2500 - another shut off. Finally the next cycle brings average salt to 2900 and unit runs all day. But I expect another problem in the AM. Something is resetting the verge set to zero when pump not running.

Something is resetting the verge set to zero when pump not running.
The cell is probably running while the pump is off.

This is incredibly dangerous because the buildup of chlorine gas and hydrogen gas can explode.

You need to check the flow switch and you need to make sure that the SWG loses power when the pump is off.

James is correct. That is the whole problem. The SWG should never be powered when the pump isn’t running. There should either be a timer or a relay that allows the SWG to only receive power when the pump is running. The unit is averaging the readings when water is flowing and it’s working correctly, with the time when it’s receiving power, but no flow.
If that is happening, it is dangerous since it can build up gases and has even caused units to explode.

Last edited:
Wire the power through the pump relay.

Do you have pictures of everything?

What exact equipment do you have?

How old is everything?

Some Jandy automation will communicate with some Aquarite.

You can try to connect them to see if they will work together.

What are the software revisions for the Jandy and Aquarite?

Wire the power through the pump relay.

Do you have pictures of everything?

What exact equipment do you have?

How old is everything?

Some Jandy automation will communicate with some Aquarite.

You can try to connect them to see if they will work together.

What are the software revisions for the Jandy and Aquarite?
I am not at the equipment now so take a photo, but here is an overview:

AquaRite is the latest from Hayward installed last year (2020). I previously had a 2001 version of the GoldLine AquaRite that was replaced in 2012 with a Jandy Aquapure. My pool automation is a Jandy One Touch, originally from 2001. The Jandy is an RS 2/6 Dual Rev R.

The original GoldLine interfaced with the Jandy system until the Rev on that board was increased and it stopped. The Jandy Aquapure interfaced well but was replaced last year after it acted up with bad sensor readings and my pool man wanted to replace it (a mistake - all it needed was a new cell and sensor, which I got for my spa). The Hayward AquaRite does not seem to interface with the Jandy, but I am not sure it is wired properly. I have time this year to check it out myself.

BTW the pump is a Pentair Inteliflo and I can control the speed from my Jandy (I had to wire that myself, pool company couldn't do it properly and mess it up at startup every spring).

So to summarize, Jandy is Rev R and AquaRite is whatever they shipped last year (with the 940 cell in place of a T-15).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Read through the below post for some information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.