Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I got the 121 error on my FusionSoft a couple days ago. I cleaned the cell and the sensor and the cell ran fine for about a day. Not this morning, it is back. It is still producing chlorine I can see bubbles out of the returns and the display also says it is on. I think my salt may be a little low but not low enough to cause production issues (2800) but I added 2 bags of salt anyway. When I cleaned the cell, it looked fairly clean with no evidence of any buildup. I gave it 30 minutes in a diluted M/A bath and cleaned the sensor with a plastic scrubber. The sensor also seemed clean. What else can I check/do?

Code #
Possible Cause
Corrective Action
120​
Low current in forward direction to cellClean cell if necessary and check DC cord
121​
Low current in reverse direction to cellClean cell if necessary and check DC cord

1599574346272.png
1599574361069.png

Check the cord carefully on both sides for any corrosion or burning of the pins.

Terminals are great (all 3) they look new. I lubed them a bit anyway. Salt level was 2800 or so. SWG showing 3000 but K-1766 showing 2800 (estimate from all the rain we've been having). I added 80lbs of salt so I'll check again this evening. This is the 4th season for the cell but it was not used the first season so 3 seasons of use (3 years). I just turned on the cell again after adding the salt it is showing 3300 now. It went for a couple minutes and is now back at the same fault above.

1599582553406.png

Just went out again and scrubbed the 3 terminals and put on/took off the cord a bunch of times. Powered the unit off first and powered back on when I was done. So far it is holding but I am not hopeful it will remain.

With the error only showing on the reverse current it points to a cable problem with that pin or a cell problem inside where the pin connection is welded to a plate.

With the error only showing on the reverse current it points to a cable problem with that pin or a cell problem inside where the pin connection is welded to a plate.

That cable connector can go either direction, right? Does it make sense that if I reverse it, and the error then shows on the non-reverse side, that would point to a bad connection in the cell terminal? Anyway so far so good after screwing around with the terminals it is holding for like 30 minutes with no error.

It’s worth a try reversing the cable.

Dag nabbit! Just checked and saw the "General Fault" again! But then refreshed and it cleared. Not sure what is going on but it does have the hallmarks of a bad connection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks ok to me I would love to take apart the cell however just to check everything out. I see 2 screws on the top not sure what they do. Anyone know how to take it apart?

1599600082786.png
1599600093289.png

1599600116129.png
1599600103339.png

It looks like the center terminal has been leaking, which usually means corrosion.

Maybe take the screws out and remove the cover plate to see if the prongs are corroded.

Note, this might make things worse. So, don't do this until you have tried everything else.

Maybe try a new cell cord first.

Isn't the center electrode on all the time though and the two outside terminals alternate?
Correct. The center terminal gets the most current and it is the one that usually corrodes. You can't really go by forward or reverse polarity.

Most likely, the center terminal is corroding. You can try a new cord and maybe higher salinity, but I suspect that the cell is about done.

Correct. The center terminal gets the most current and it is the one that usually corrodes. You can't really go by forward or reverse polarity.

Most likely, the center terminal is corroding. You can try a new cord and maybe higher salinity, but I suspect that the cell is about done.

I am just getting error 121 (not 120). This seems to indicate that one of the polarity legs is having issues and not the center terminal. Not so? If it is just corrosion, perhaps I can take it apart and shore up the corrosion with something? I can't find any pictures of what these look like taken apart. If I end up having to get a new cell, for sure I will make a video taking it apart. Also isn't corrosion on salt cells just calcium buildup? I would think they are designed not to corrode in water. I have seen the outside terminals eaten away on some people's to nothing but all 3 of mine are near pristine. Any corrosion would have to be right at the base and there is no evidence of that from what I see. I will wire brush the inside of the connectors on the cap to ensure they are providing the best conductive surface possible. I assume there is some sort of oring under that cap with the 2 screws so I will get some of those before attempting to take off the top part. Seems like they should build these better for $750.

The plates corrode as they produce chlorine. The center plate is probably corroding. I would try a new cord and a higher salinity. The center prong is probably leaking water into the connection.

I just cleaned out the connectors using a brass barrel brush from my gun-cleaning kit. I "roughed up" the leads a bit as well. Maybe it will hold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.