Aqualink RS upgrade time

May 28, 2011
I am looking at alternatives for upgrading my pool automation and would appreciate some feedback from this group. My Jandy Aqualink RS8 System is getting dated (along with a broken solar sensor on the control board) it cannot support my newer (2019) Pentair variable speed/flow pump or support mobile phone options without an upgrade.

Other notes:
  • One of the two Jandy valve actuators are not working well, I have to manually switch them depending on the pool/spa mode I need, its something on the actuator, not the control board from what I can tell.
  • Its extremely annoying right now to have to maintain settings on the new VSF pump and the RS8, and the pump does not have the ability to have multiple schedules (eg. I want to run the pump on weekends at different times due to variable electric rate plan I am now on). I can also accidentally leave the Booster Pump on when the filter pump is off (not good).
  • I use a pool service for weekly chemical service only.
  • I am fairly handy/techy, so I dont mind working on equipment, but avoid high voltage (so I'd have an electrician deal with the wiring parts).
I've looked at the following options (in order of cost from least to greatest):

1. Upgrade the Aqualink control board to the latest version., add the iAqualink control (for smartphone control), add the interface adapter to control the VSF pump
2. Upgrade the Aqualink to iAqualink 2.0 IQ20-RS and add the interface adapter to control the VSF pump
3. Replace Aqualink with Pentair Easytouch 8 and ScreenLogic2
4. Replace Aqualink with Pentair Intellicenter

If I stick with Aqualink, option 2 seems to make more sense from what I've read in the forums given the age of my Aqualink system.
If I go with new Pentair control center, option 4 seems to make more sense given the tech and programming options available (although a bit more expensive)

Given the Pentair pump, does it make more sense to switch to the Intellicenter (albiet approximately 3x the cost when I add in the electrician labor)?
Is the Intellicenter i8PS the right model to use given the 5 pumps/3 actuators/heater/solar/2 lights I have?
With the intellicenter, I see I can get 2 IntelliValve actuators to replace the Jandy ones, will the Compool one I have for the solar still work?
Many here seem to support adding a SWG, is there a pro/con to this when considering the iAqualink or Intellicenter?
Is there any option to keep the Aqualink control center box/wiring and just add the Intellicenter components? (I saw an earlier post with a similar question, but did not see a reply if this was possible)
Other alternatives I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Last edited:
Steve,

Another option is to have a look at the AqualinkD project. if you are comfortable with a raspberry pi it’s a great upgrade to an Aqualink system which can connect to Apple HomeKit (this is what I’ve done), Alexa, GoogleHome etc. It does not go through the cloud so you are not susceptible to the occasional 3rd party outages.

In terms of automating the speed of the pump, I am not sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.