Aquador won't seal.

I had a "pool guy" close our 30 foot above ground round pool last year. He installed an aquador. This year I am trying to close the pool myself and I cannot get the aquador to totally seal. I closed the skimmer to see if it was leaking and the Water leaks out slowly until it is the same height as the pool. Any suggestions? Do I need a brand new aquador?

I'm not familiar with Aquador. Is it just a plastic cover for the skimmer or is there an o ring that seals it? If there is an o ring try lubricating it with a silicone based lube. Saran wrap between the cover and skimmer might help as well.

I had no luck last year with my aquadoor. A couple of days after closing I realized there was water in my skimmer. Ended up just dropping the water level below this skimmer. I will try it again this year with some lube to see what happens

I nervous to hear this.... I just had a new pool installed in April and they put on the aquador fitting on the skimmer so I can just add the "tupperware cover" in the fall. I haven't done it yet....

Though I'm probably going to drain 6" below the returns anyway so it may not matter.

I have heard some people say to use pool lube (the same thing you seal o-rings with)

We have not used the Aquador seal in years. We lower the water to ~ 6" below skimmer, leave the bottom of the skimmer open for water to drain and then put the solid cover over the entire pool including the skimmer. We have had no trouble, the water freezes solid and stays that way for 3-4 months.
Hope this helps.

We have not used the Aquador seal in years. We lower the water to ~ 6" below skimmer, leave the bottom of the skimmer open for water to drain and then put the solid cover over the entire pool including the skimmer. We have had no trouble, the water freezes solid and stays that way for 3-4 months.
Hope this helps.

I used pool seal around my Aquador and it still leaks very slowly. Maybe a couple drops in an hour. Will a new one seal better?

I nervous to hear this.... I just had a new pool installed in April and they put on the aquador fitting on the skimmer so I can just add the "tupperware cover" in the fall. I haven't done it yet....
Though I'm probably going to drain 6" below the returns anyway so it may not matter.
I have heard some people say to use pool lube (the same thing you seal o-rings with)
I used pool seal around my Aquador and it still leaks very slowly. Maybe a couple drops in an hour. Will a new one seal better?
We don't use it so I cannot speak on the effectiveness. Sorry.

I tagged @richierich for you. It's been 3 years and don't know if he will see this.

Do you have the newer model faceplate? The old one with the raised part always leaked on me. I replaced the faceplate around 2-3 years ago and do not have any leaks. You really have to get the cover on all the way, seated on the full perimeter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.