AQUABOT JR ISSUES

MEM 1960

Aug 7, 2019
Oxford, CT
i have an aquabot jr. And it stops running in the pool after a few minutes. Have read multiple posts on multiple sites and can't seem to pinpoint an answer or find a repair place in ct. Guess my main question is could it be the timer and is the timer located in the power supply box or on the motor in the actual robot cleaner?? Thinking i could find a "newer" power supply box if that could be the problem.

Timer is located in the power supply. While it is running, you may be able to hear a slight click when it switches direction.

I trust the filter is clean.

Additionally, if you hold it stationary, do you feel adequately strong flow in both outlet directions while it's running? It could be that the flapper isn't switching in one direction.

I called the manufacturer and they told me to put the unit in the pool without the filter bag to ensure that it wasn't "sensing" the bag was full/dirty, which I did and it still shut off within a few minutes. when it is running in the pool it moves as it should and I see the "push" of water coming out of the top where the "fan" is. So not sure where the other outlet is as you mention above. And when you reference a "click" not sure about that. can't really hear anything if it is in the pool.

My thought is that there maybe an issue with the timer and since you say that is in the power supply box and not in the actual "robot" on the motor then I was hoping that in that case I may be able to get a new power supply in hopes that is the issue!!

thanks!

When it's running for the few minutes, does it appear to run normally? That is, does it move in both directions? If so, that rules out the flapper. The top fan ejects water in one of 2 directions which the flapper determines. The direction of the ejected water determines the direction the robot will move.

The click I hear is from the controller. I'm guessing it controls the flapper direction.

As an aside, my credit card company has an extended warranty on items I purchase with it. IIRC, it extends the warranty by an additional year. If you are within this time frame (and purchased new with such a card), this may be a good option for you.

Does the unit power off after a few minutes or does it just stop moving? A few years ago mine would go a few feet, hit the pool wall, and stop moving. The unit continued to run but it just didn't move. After much trial and error I was turning the unit upside down and making sure nothing was stuck, then turned it right side up and checked in the discharge flaps on top of the unit. One side had a small stick stuck in there, which prevented the cleaner from moving after attempting to change directions. You can see it on pg 2 of the manual. Pool Rover Junior Manual - Aqua Products Support

ok so I ordered a new power supply plugged it in and kept my fingers crossed....but did the same thing it did with the old power supply!! ugh! so I took it out of the pool and ran it that way and heard a "clunk" and it shut off after it ran for about 3-4 minutes. I opened the bot and did it again to see where the noise was coming from and it is from the drive motor. I took the plate off the drive motor to see if there was any water/corrosion in it and it looked perfect. ran it again, listening and looking and on the circuit board there was a tiny red flashing light-when the light went off and the drive motor "clunked" again the bot shutoff. So........back to square one. from what I am reading you can't just replace the circuit board and need to replace the whole drive motor. Already $200 into this since I bought a new power supply-which was NOT the problem! looking online a new drive motor is over $300!! that being said I could just buy a brand new one for a little over $500!! any ideas out there????

Maybe try working with the power supply seller to see if you can return it for most or all of your $ back.

Also, I need to apologize. I have a Aquabot (Pool Rover) Jr., and was referring to how it operates when talking with you. I now see you have a different model that may operate differently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.