Aqua Logic Salt Too High - Cholrinator Off High Salt/Amps

Just replaced my T-cell-15. Went from readings going lower and lower (eventually reading 0) with the old cell, to now reading 4500-4700 with the new cell.

Amps are at 7.98-7.99, when generating chlorine.

I appreciate the salt strips aren't especially accurate, but I use the same strips, weekly, and they've at least been extremely consistent. When the old cell was working, chemistry was perfect, SWG worked as expected and the strips always reflected any salt I added/subtracted appropriately.

There's no way the salt is this high.

My board isn't quite the same as the OP (I have a Goldline 066012C-1 Rev C), however I pulled mine out and found the K-1.

On the back of the board, beneath the K-1, I found this:

K1.jpg

Is that really a pin, in that hole?

Do I have a prayer of just pushing some solder in there and reconnecting it to the board?

Clearly there's no sign of damage, however the damage could be on the front (there's a black plastic cap covering the area, on the front, so I can't see the board).

I'm not afraid to attempt repair, but if that's not really a pin, I see no point.

All advice appreciated!

That pin may be just for position during soldering. The K1 should be soldered to the larger traces on the left.

Re: Aqua Logic Salt Too High - Cholrinator Off High Salt/Amp

thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I removed the circuit board and that same exact relay was burnt. Soldered it up (very ugly job in the end) and it works perfectly now. You saved me quite a bit of $$ - much appreciated

I'm a DIY'er but new pool owner. I'm having the same problem as everyone else (high salt/amps reading) with a new cell that was installed in June. Pool store test said 4700ppm, system saying 3500ppm. I've never "soldered" anything and am nervous about experimenting on an expensive pice of equipment. Is there a "soldering for dummies" thread? I would literally need step-by-step instructions in order to even think if attempting this.

Just replaced the T cell on my pool (14,000 gallons) which was not generating any chlorine. I had the pool installed in 2010, so this was the original cell. For some reason they installed a T-15, which I replaced with a T-3. Now I'm getting the High Salt/ Amps message. I configured the controller for the T-3. I'm getting readings of: -40.58v 10.08A 81* and 2200. I tested the salt with some strips that have always been within 100 or so points from the salt level on the controller display. With the filter on, the display shows salt @ 2800 & the strips are showing 3200. Guess I'll check the board & see if there's any indication of something burnt or a bad solder joint. Any thoughts on my issue?

Thanks

Thanks to the knowledgeable folks on this forum, 20 minutes, and a dab of solder fixed my issue. Salt reading adjusted itself to 3000 after a few minutes, so I'll wait a little while to see if it goes up any more. I'd been using bleach since this issue came up, and it was in short supply from the hurricane scare. You folks are awesome. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Aqua Logic Salt Too High - Cholrinator Off High Salt/Amp

I know this is years later from your post. But, what kind of solder did you use, if you still get this. thanks,

I used 60/40 solder with a kit from amazon. Mine is fixed. Had to do it more than once, did not work the first few times. Then we cleaned all the old solder off and re-d-d it and it worked. Clean all the old off before you re-solder it.

My pump died in the middle of winter and everything froze up, destroying my old salt cell. Installed a new cell when re-opening pool and I get the high salt/amps message. When I first start the cell is shows 1900 PPM salt and just over 10 amps, which is what is causing the problem. Salt is definitely not high.

My K1 must have gotten super hot at some point, as the plastic standoff next to it that actually melted. My solder point didn't look bad, but I tried re-soldering. Am I likely looking at a new board to fix this?? Any way to just replace that relay?

I get the reading of +40.62V 10.04A 1900PPM. Is this the K1 relay error? I know for certain my salt is not high. I have placed my old cell inline and then put my good cell in a 5 gallon buck with the appropriate amount of salt, and also with just plain water. It doesn't matter what I do. I constantly get this reading when the chlorinator starts, and then it stops because of the high amps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.