May 30, 2020
Des Moines, IA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,

We purchased a 12'x22'x48" Bestway pool from Costco. I've had some work done on trying to level the spot. It is going along the side of our house since that is the most level area that doesn't get a small stream flowing through it during a hard rain. Red outline was the original pool placement.

My first plan was to cut down both the distant tree in the pic and the close tree with the overhanging leaves. But decided to just cut the far tree down for now and do some trimming of the close one to hopefully eliminate or limit overhanging branches limbs. Does anyone actually have branches hanging above their pool? If yes, how hard is it to manage falling debris? I suspect I'll need to cut down the second tree too have a chance at a decent pool temp, even if the pool stays clean enough.

I'd like to do xps foam insulation under the pool. Does anyone have an opinion on 1/2" vs 1" thick? Also thinking I may need to get some mason sand, or something to allow the ground to get a little smoother/level under the xps. Next up is to dig sink some 8x16x4 inch pavers into the ground to match the height of the foam, and get them level with a water level.

Any comments on the plan are appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6317.jpg
    IMG_6317.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6333.jpg
    IMG_6333.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 9
A little sand and foam over that should work great.. The tree will drop some in the pool and shade it.. how much who knows until you get into it :)

The 4 inch blocks are where it is at.. just level them with the 1/2 inch foam and your good to go... Make a water level, cheap and easy..

Does this pool have a skimmer? That will help with debris, and covering the pool will as well.

Progress update. After a rainy week here in Iowa, the mud dried out enough to put some pavers in. I made the mistake of starting at the highest point and sinking paver in until it was 1/2” out of the ground (for 1/2” foam). By the time I got to the lowest point the paver didn’t need dig in at all. I knew this wasn’t good, and ground was not level by almost 2”.

I then started started at the lowest point and used the same approach of 1/2” above ground. This time I used a water level. Now the high side pavers are actually beneath ground level, and I need to take out more dirt from the high side, so hopefully all the pavers are 1/2” out of the ground.

A few lesson learned (some I should have known from reading advice on the Forum.

1. Should have started with the water level first thing.

2. Start from the lowest point for leveling.

3. A children’s flat toy shovel works better than any of the tools I had for leveling the pavers (individually).

4. Don’t cheap out. I used some leftover pavers I had instead of buying new. At only $1-2 bucks, new pavers would have cost me $20-40. I used 2 or 3 stones under each U shaped leg. Would have been worth the money to only have to deal with one for each leg.

The pool doesn’t have a skimmer, so thinking of getting the Hayward or Intex that hangs off the side.

BFDACD4C-F33F-489A-920B-DD289A65A8CA.jpeg

Reactions: cowboycasey
I laid out the foam insulation yesterday and put up the frame. After putting up the frame, I’m concerned the pavers ‘under’ my U-shaped legs are too wide. Right now it is difficult to put both sides even on the very closest edge. They are 14 feet on center, which should be good according to the diagram on the box.

Do the U-shape legs move out as the pool is filled? I’ve had one person pull on one of the straps while I pull on the opposite one. Right now the U-shaped legs are about 13 feet apart. Hard to they will spread out another foot! Any guidance or advice is appreciated43425EC5-C8DC-4134-B9DB-0090A4885FE7.jpeg

Here is a pic of the diagram from the box, and another of the foam. 6A72D2EE-6656-453E-8415-CD9269FD2937.jpeg

they do move out as it fills, the top will move about 2 feet to 3 feet from leaning over the pool to straight up and down... As long as both side of the u are on the blocks you are good..

Pool is filled. Really happy with how level it is. Too cold for me, but kids went in today and had a good time.

The U-shape legs never really moved out much at all. I’m barely on the paver blocks on one side. A couple U-shape legs on the other side are not on the pavers at all. Just put some plywood down and will monitor how it goes. I had to dig out and adjust some of the pavers under the regular I-shape legs too. I blame that on probably not having the liner centered under the frame. Then after filling with water the liner just pulls the frame out of its original position.

I just didn’t have the will to adjust the pavers for the U-shaped legs. I blame it on the specs being wrong. If anyone else has the pool I’m curious what your distance between the U legs is. Feel bad because I’d given someone advice earlier about planning where to put their supports.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.