Anyone use SR Smith epoxy kit (or Simpson Strongtie SetXp epoxy) to install diving board base?

Vital Signs

Jul 27, 2020
Portland OR
So I've got an old (around 20ish years, installed when the pool was originally built by previous homeowner) SR Smith cantilever base and board. Board was old and ready to be trashed so I bought a new one (True Tread 8') and since the cantilever base was fine (just stripped the old paint and surface rust and recoated in Rust Bullet rust preventative paint) I am reusing it along with the springs. My existing anchor bolts were too rusted to reuse so I installed new ones using 6" grade B8M (316) SS bolt studs set with Simpson Strong Tie SetXP (since that's what is used in the epoxy kits SR Smith sells). I offset the new drilled holes by 5" (3" back, 2" over) from the old ones (Simpson Strongtie lists a 3" min spacing) and left one old bolt uncut, the one that will now be under the new board, so I can use a grounding strap to connect it to one of the new anchor bolts. I'm assuming when the board was originally installed they connected the anchor bolts to the grounding loop. I also bought all new 316 SS hardware (thank you internet for fastener specialty websites) and am ready to install.

However, when looking at the Cantilever base install instructions I see that SR Smith recommends that the base be torqued to 40 to 50 ft-lbs. But, Simpson Strong Tie SetXP epoxy technical specs list a max torque for 1/2" anchors at 20 ft-lbs. I was curious what the instructions for SR Smith's epoxy kit lists for install but they don't have the instructions on their website and I asked their customer service email (who had helped me previously in the process) for the instructions but haven't received any reply after a couple weeks.

Just wondering if anyone else has used SR Smith's epoxy kit (or I guess just SetXP epoxy in general) and if so what torque did you use when you installed the nuts on the anchor bolts. Not too optimistic that I'll get an answer given the specific nature of the question but I figured I'd give it a shot. I guess I'll just install at 20 ft-lbs and monitor the base over time.

Anchors are already epoxy set so it's too late for that unfortunately and I'd rather not drill another four set of holes. I guess I'm just confused why SR Smith would sell an epoxy kit for the Cantilever base that apparently doesn't allow you to torque the nuts to their own recommended Cantilever base installation amount. Unless I'm just misunderstanding the tech specs on Simpson Strong-Tie setXP epoxy....which very well could be the case...in fact I hope it is. Maybe the toque on the nut doesn't necessarily mean the same as torque on the epoxy set anchor.

I see that SR Smith recommends that the base be torqued to 40 to 50 ft-lbs.
The below reference says 40 ft-lb.

Below, you can see that the S.R Smith kit is from Simpson Strongtie.

So, I would expect that it would be acceptable.

752095868.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.