Anyone use an Intex unit in an inground pool ?

Quick question: Does anyone know what the amperage is when the Intex SWG is producing chlorine? I want to extend the wiring between the base and the cell, but I want to make sure not to undersize the wiring. So far, this SWG has been working great in my pool, I just want to make it look a bit "cleaner".

I just put an Intex unit (bought from KMart on sale for 110$) on my in-ground pool.

To install it, I sawed off the ends of two of the adapters and used fernco adapters. I plumbed it as the last thing on the return line. Worked great, no leaks.

Next, well, concurrently, I added 280 lbs of salt and it worked for a few days and then I got a low salt warning - so I'm off to buy more salt - I don't think I have an accurate volume for my pool whihc has always made things tricky. My best guess (using a calculator for kidney shaped pools) is that it is about 26k gallons.

I have the unit set to run 12 hours a day - not sure if I should have done 2 units in parallel. So far I haven't been able to maintain the 1-3 ppm of free chlorine but I'm going to give it some time, supplement with some granular chlorine and see how it shakes out.

I'll report back with more data by end of the pool season here.

I found that their chart for adding salt wasn't enough, i have to keep in above 2700ppm or the low salt light comes on. also after a few days or weeks can't remember i had to add more. Maybe my pool walls were absorbing some? Then after a few months the salt level stays the same, I did go up a little when twice I had to drop 8 gallons of chlor. into the pool to knock out a algea problem. (equipment failed while on vacation)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.