Anyone here have a homemade solar powered chlorine dosing system?

Jul 3, 2016
Delphos, OH
In tossing around converting to a SWG system, I thought "hey, I can make a chlorine dosing system that runs off a solar panel with a 12 volt battery, 12 volt timer, 12 volt peristaltic pump and 12 volt charge controller!". Knowing the ingenuity this forum brings, I figured certainly someone has built this setup and could offer some advice or pics.
My thought is, I mount the panel on a corner post of the pool away from the water, put a 30 gallon HDPE jug under the deck with a box that holds the pump, timer and charge controller. Outlet line from the pump drops into the pool rather than in the intake as I have seen in other pics. Pump runs off of a 12 volt battery that is charged by the solar panel and charge controller. Pump runs twice each day putting in about 1/4 gallon per run period (depending on needs... but typically my pool takes about 1/2 gallon per day once the CYA is right) Doesn't seem too difficult. I'm just not sure what size battery and panel to buy to build the system.

If you've made a system like this I'd be interesting in hearing from you. I have seen plenty of examples of homemade dosing systems but haven't seen a strictly solar powered setup.

Here's what i have in mind

Last edited:
Interesting idea.
But, for the amount of power used by the little pump, I feel like it might take a VERY long time to recoup the costs of the solar, battery, and controller.
Also some risk that the bleach would get added when the pool pump is not running.

Interesting idea.
But, for the amount of power used by the little pump, I feel like it might take a VERY long time to recoup the costs of the solar, battery, and controller.
Also some risk that the bleach would get added when the pool pump is not running.
I'd have the timer on the chlorine pump set to run a few hours after the pump comes on in the morning and then again a few hours before the pump would be set to turn off. The pump itself only uses about .5 to 1.4 amps so not a lot of draw. If the specs are right, I'd only have to run the pump for about two minutes in the early part of the day and then 2 minutes again in the later part. I figure for about $200 I could build the setup. That's all the parts and the suction and discharge lines. The tank I can get from a friend that owns a car wash.
It's not really about cost for me. It's about making it easier for me which is priceless. If I can get it setup so that the pump runs, the battery charges and the pump runs again early enough that it would almost fully charge for the next cycle, I wouldn't have to worry about going out and adding chlorine each night or having someone do it while I'm on vacation.

Last edited:
But, what if you have a few cloudy days in a row? Or rain for a few days? Then your FC is likely to drop too low.
I guess that goes into the sizing of battery system and how many days would it have to run without being charged.

Putting the peristaltic pump at the equipment and running off 120V would not have that concern and the cost of install would be cheaper.

My problem is, I want everything hidden out of sight. I didn't think ahead to put an outlet on the deck or under the deck, so to do a 120v pump I'd have to run a new line under the deck. I was thinking that a solar setup would be an "elegant" solution.. and if I place the panel just right... It might give me a place to set my beer! :)

BUT ! You will still need to have a fail safe wired to the pump anyway so this set up can not turn on if the pressure is not in the return line which will happen only when the main pump is running. I know you said about the added timer etc, but, what if the power goes off for some reason to the main pump ? Not the end of the world i guess if you pump chlorine into a pool that is not circulating depending on where your injection point is. The solar set up is ok but you're just adding more things to go wrong and spending more money then necessary. My Stenner runs for 2 minutes a day and only if the return line has pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.