Anyone Have a Winter Pool Dome - Ameridome or Others?

I had to just comment on this thread because I read it in it's entirety earlier this year in a quest to keep my pool open in the Winter here in NE Ohio. I did it in 2017/18 and it was awesome except that I had major water loss due to evaporation and the heater worked pretty much non stop. gas bill wasn't all that bad though.. As I read this forum and all about your dome and the issues/challenges I felt like there has to be a better way! I ended up purchasing a thermal pool cover and so far it has been awesome. I keep my pool at 80-88 and the heater doesn;t work all that much. The cover is only 130lbs. and rolls up fast. I workout in the pool and relax/swim in it too and it's so cool being out there in the snow. If you are thinking about keeping the pool open all Winter, I highly recommend investing in a thermal pool cover and some sort of heavy duty solar cover reel. I decided on the Rocky Reel. Notice the black fabric hinges. You just fold in the curves so that the cover is rectangular and then reel it up.

Hope this helps someone!

View attachment 124117
Do you leave the thermal pool cover on during the day? Would the pool gain more heat from the sun if the pool cover is removed during the day? What thermal pool cover do you have? How much is your gas bill just for the pool?

@soc4evr - Great tip on the thermal cover! Thanks.

Hi all - sorry I never get here anymore...the Portuguese water dog I got 2 years ago literally eats all my free time...don't get a working dog unless you wanna work ;) Hi ho. Also, accepted a new client 2 years back that eats the rest of my screen time....

For the 2020 update after 3.5 years running with the dome:

1. Dome still in good condition - have broken zippers fob but that's about it. Storage system is working well. Heat lamp on the air exchanger inside a little greenhouse tent is working well to avoid freeze ups.

2. Downside: My 266k Raypak heater has gone through 3 cupronickel heat exchangers in 3.5 years...sooting badly despite improvements to air makeup - indoor in pool house with 2.5 story vent. SO RIGHT NOW I'm debating between an indirect Triangle Tube Titanium Maxi-Flo 260T heat exchanger on a new high-efficiency boiler install OR the stupidly expensive Pentair ETI400 titanium direct-fired heater. Will let you all know what I do when I get the estimates back next week, provided the HVAC and Pool Guys are still going out to jobs ;)

3. No regrets at all on the expense to date - the last heat exchanger bit it a week ago and I am miserable in lockdown without my therapy pool ;)

This is our 4th season with the dome and we love it even more, especially now. I can't imagine having a pool without one. It's not as bright and clean as it used to be with all our trees and we have done a few minor hole repairs.
Some older photos of our sanctuary.

Attachments

• 49079368_10218749723160585_2704705837330333696_n.jpg
    49079368_10218749723160585_2704705837330333696_n.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 71
  • Snow Dome 2018.jpg
    Snow Dome 2018.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 71
I've been following your updates as I was considering a dome too but ended up moving to FL this summer. Still looks like a great idea for the rest of the folks still back up north to extend the swim season earlier and later or even all year with a heater.

Reactions: Kitana

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.