Anybody have their Intex AGP liner lose its color?

All liners, even high quality liners will fade over time. I think in the case of Intex pools the fade is due to the quality of ink, sunshine, and chlorine. Any source of chlorine will cause fade.

All liners, even high quality liners will fade over time. I think in the case of Intex pools the fade is due to the quality of ink, sunshine, and chlorine. Any source of chlorine will cause fade.

That is the conclusion I reached as well. This year being the 3rd year of life for my liner, it is an Intex pool, and I have been within the cya/fc zone all year where last year I was likely below it much of the time add up to ink that finally gave up.
And the parallel conclusion is that chlorine causes fading. Maybe it's worse in Intex pools. I'm still happy though. Intex has allowed me to have a pretty nice pool setup and lots of enjoyment from it in a location where I cannot build a permanent pool. And this year TFP has allowed me to have it at a lower cost with really beautiful water.

Just to add a little chlorine to the discussion (that's what we do, amiright?):

I have noticed fading of my liner as well, both above and below the waterline, but noticed the fading is worse on one side of the pool. The side that receives the most direct amount of sunlight. No doubt that my OMG, my pool is green, let's throw the kitchen sink at it mentality I had before I learned the TFP method contributed to the fading. The fading above the waterline is no doubt from UV, so no matter what is the cause of the fading, UV does contribute.

Just to add a little chlorine to the discussion (that's what we do, amiright?):.

So you are trying to 'sanitize' the conversation? That sounds like censorship! Hey, it's not my board... [emoji12]

I was only half kidding about the sparkling clearness of the water being a contributing cause. As one responder said, with the fading being below the water line, it's not JUST UV, but I could believe a combination of UV and chlorine together had an impact. Although I would think even perfectly clear water would filter significant amounts of UV (sunburns are always worse above the water line). Oh well, harmless speculation I suppose.

We got our Intex after its second season. After two with us I think it looked like jeffchap's liner. It was pool stored all four of those years, BTW.

I don't think blaming the ink or the materials is inappropriate or even negative. It was the best $150 pool we've ever bought!

I was tempted to blame the manufacturer a while back, but I didn't want to offend anyone. I was worried though because I have an in ground vinyl liner pool, and growing up in TX, no one had vinyl liners. Now that I have one, I'm learning a lot about how these pools are built. I do not know the brand of my liner, but I do know my pool was built as cheaply as possible, and I'm not super happy about that. But that's another story.

I do know all the Intex toys and floats that my wife bought from Aldi or somewhere are all already badly faded. But for $5 a piece what do you expect?

All of the color in mine has gone away below the water line. It's just white now. I've been pretty religious about keeping the FC level inside the FC/CYA chart. I did SLAM once for 4 days with one overshoot but the fading started well after. It happened over about a month, or maybe three weeks. This is the 3rd year for the liner and first year for TFP. It had a few bleached spots from where shock granular settled on the bottom from years past before switching to TFP.

I'm not sure it's all bad. A solid white pool is kind of neat. But now I'm thinking of ways to dye the water. Using TFP, the water is so clear, I don't think I'll ever be able to keep that white bottom clean.

Our squares are totally gone on the bottom. My water is crystal clear and it kind of reminds me of ocean water. I love it LOL!

Attachments

• 81339F8A-A413-40B6-AB04-B68D5B278FCA.jpg
    81339F8A-A413-40B6-AB04-B68D5B278FCA.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 35
Mine faded completely white, but I liked the turquoise color it made the water.
9a6f0db43553f19f91b0ccbea161e551.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My 15 ft Intex pool was new last year. Water balanced snd clear. Hurricane Laura hit and pool had to be drained and refilled. We noticed then that the blue liner had faded to solid white. Very discouraging. I’m assuming because chlorine sat stagnant the three weeks we had no power?

Hi Amr011669, welcome to TFP! It still would have faded even without the loss of power. Intex and other pools like it are very prone to fading. It has to do with the composition of the ink used to print the liner. If they are not using a high quality fade resistant ink then the liner will easily bleach out. It doesn't make the liner any weaker. They do it to keep the costs down as fade resistant ink is more expensive.

My 15 ft Intex pool was new last year. Water balanced snd clear. Hurricane Laura hit and pool had to be drained and refilled. We noticed then that the blue liner had faded to solid white. Very discouraging. I’m assuming because chlorine sat stagnant the three weeks we had no power?
Were you following TFP principles? How did you chlorinate?

I have had three Intex pools over the years, sitting out uncovered in hot Florida sun, and never had one fade to white. So it sounds like your chlorine level was extremely high for a period of time.

Edit: To clarify, definitely some fading, but never full loss of color.

The three weeks you had no power, were you adding any chlorine? If so, then improper mixing could have contributed, though that would cause spots or blotchiness, not an even fade. If you weren't adding chlorine, then you didn't have any chlorine after three weeks. Regardless, the chlorine, once mixed well, doesn't act differently if the pump is running or not.

Yes, after 3 years mine is nearly white as well. Other than that and a couple of small rust stains on the support tees, there's really nothing wrong with it, and I leave it up year round.

I don't really mind it, but I won't be too upset if I have to replace it next year either. I figure 3 good years out of one of these pools is a bargain
I am building a permanent aboveground pool this year, but my 18x52 Intex lasted 5 full seasons and leaked horribly when I put it up the 6th year. It was a saltwater pool with an Intex SWG built on the sand filter. Full pattern still on it although slightly lighter colored the final year. As it is an older version, maybe they changed inks?
received_709147909543011.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.