Any Tips for PE653 Instamatic Install?

Swampwoman

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Ok, so my electrician friend who really wants to do the install in his spare time as a contra had to cancel (again) for this Saturday. At ths rate, it will be Xmas before my automatin is installed, but I am simply not going to have anyone other than an electrician do it.

However, he and I are debating having one of his subordinates do it instead if things don't slow down for him in a week or so, because he also needs to wire up a transfer switch or interlock for our new generator so the to do list is growing ;) He's a good friend and I don't want to tax him with worry about any of this given how busy he is. So if I hire in someone from his commercial co., I don't want him to feel like he has to babysit.

I find I get better work outta strangers if I know in advance what's what so I want to mentally walk through this one.

The PE653 has 5 circuits.

1. I have a single speed hayward superpump
2. Aquarite SWG that I NEED to be able to turn off completely (or on, as case may be) while pump is running, so needs to be independent (but I know I can never run it without pump)
3. I have a raypak heater, digital. I need to schedule its run overnight, and make sure it is never on if pump is off.
4. I have a single pool light. It is wired as a split off from a GFCI outdoor outlet, I believe. I need to be able to control the pool light WITHOUT turning the GFCI off or on as it needs to independently run my air blower for my dome, which requires constant power.

Any tips or caveats about how to oversee that this gets done right?

Btw, not germane now, but when I have to replace the pump one day it will be a min. of 2-speed...but I can reconfigure then as needed.

Thanks in advance for any tips, caveats, etc. from those more familiar with automation ;) Some of these items, such as swg independence, are related to factors around using this dome in winter...even at 9% swg produces more than I can use so I'm only running it every second day at a low percentage and when my heater is off since so-doing has eliminated any scaling I was getting.

The only gotcha's I see are that you need to leave circuit 2 open for the future 2-speed pump.

Also it's possible (but not probable) that switching the light on and/or off, may trip the GFCI, especially if the blower is running. Not very likely, but it could happen.

Thanks for the input!
The electrician stopped by on Fri to see how the pool light was wired and apparently its on the load side of the GFCI and he said it shouldn't be a problem to switch it independently, which (I think) makes sense to me because it currently switched independently, just manually ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.