Any one used the wet pour rubber for a deck resurface? Thoughts?

Jun 18, 2016
Bells, TN
Our pool was built in the 70s on a slope. Heavy rains have really taken a toll on a couple of slabs of sagging concrete but that would be an enourmous undertaking. We may not evenive in this house for that long to invest a total overhaul. There appears to be an old pebble layer on the bottom of what looks like concrete layers and cool deck and it's all flaking. What's the easiest way to patch the appearance? I know it's going to crack, probably in the same places as before, but at least it won't be Cru long for a while. I've seen something called ruberoc on YouTube. Is that a legit temporary solution?

This is what we are having done to our pool deck later this summer. Our current concrete deck has heaved in places and just doesn't look nice. They will grind down the places that are heaved up, and generally level things - then apply the rubber safety surface.
What were you quoted for this work if you don't mind me asking? I am in a similar situation, my cement up by the spa is cracking in multiple places, and to add to the problem...previous owners took the cheap way out and had someone skim coat cement over the cracks, which just made a mess as it is chipping everywhere.

I was thinking of buying rubber tiles that interlock and covering the area with that. Would be safe and long lasting, and cost effective. I am interested in the rubber product you speak of though, I assume they heat it up and pour it over the concrete?

What were you quoted for this work if you don't mind me asking? I am in a similar situation, my cement up by the spa is cracking in multiple places, and to add to the problem...previous owners took the cheap way out and had someone skim coat cement over the cracks, which just made a mess as it is chipping everywhere.

I was thinking of buying rubber tiles that interlock and covering the area with that. Would be safe and long lasting, and cost effective. I am interested in the rubber product you speak of though, I assume they heat it up and pour it over the concrete?

Hi! I don't know what it would cost in your area, but I will tell you our quote was only 1/2 the price of the concrete quotes we got. For the existing concrete deck portion of our job (432sf) where they will have to grind down some heaved parts and fill in some sunken parts it will be about $7,500 including tax (about $5,700US).

I have also complicated our job because I want to get rid of the grass inside the pool area, so we also got a quote for excavating the grass and laying down crushed stone (to be covered in the rubber). This area is over 1,000sf and will go right to the pool fence. The cost to go over this surface is a bit more per square foot than going over concrete. For this part they will need to put 1.5" of SBR, and then apply the Rubric on top of that. For this portion it will be about $17,500 including tax. S
So, for our entire job (over 1,400sf) it will come to about $25,000 (about $19,000US) plus the cost of the excavation company. If the entire area had already been paved it would have been about $4k less for the rubber since the 1.5" of SBR would not have been needed (and not to mention there would have been no need to pay for an excavator either).

Last edited:
Our pool was built in the 70s on a slope. Heavy rains have really taken a toll on a couple of slabs of sagging concrete but that would be an enourmous undertaking. We may not evenive in this house for that long to invest a total overhaul. There appears to be an old pebble layer on the bottom of what looks like concrete layers and cool deck and it's all flaking. What's the easiest way to patch the appearance? I know it's going to crack, probably in the same places as before, but at least it won't be Cru long for a while. I've seen something called ruberoc on YouTube. Is that a legit temporary solution?

I will try to remember to post photos once ours is done (but I think it won't be until sometime in August unless we can get pushed forward).

I was just concerned that if not done properly it may peel up or something like that. They sell some diy kits online, I've noticed. I'd have to save as much money as possible to repair this so, diy would be the way to go.

I can't speak for the DIY, but the company I am using has been doing it for years and it holds up beautifully. I don't think I would want to try doing it myself for this big of a job (and my total lack of experience with this type of work).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it's like the stuff you find in children's playgrounds now (or some running tracks). Very soft underfoot - almost like a super super heavy carpet underlay. Can't speak to it's longevity but what I've seen in those playgrounds was very impressive.

Reactions: Chickinvic
That is beautiful.

A few questions......
- How thick is it generally speaking?
- What did they do by the coping? Trowel it thin or grind the edge of the existing deck?

They ground the edge a little. The stuff they apply if covering existing concrete is about 3/8" I believe. For the part that had been grass, they excavated the grass/dirt out, put in crushed rock, put a black rubberized surface a couple inches deep over the rock, then put the finished surface on top of that. There are numberous colour choices and they do custom mixes of colours too. It is a rubber granule product mixed with resin. Excellent in heat and cold extremes.

That really looks fantastic. I too have seen it in commercial spaces but never in a residential space.

I really like the way it looks. I'm hoping to find someone who can do this in our area to take care of a very neglected patio (not poolside). Currently, we can't even get anyone to give quotes on fixing the patio and it's simply too large for a DIY project.

I imagine too that not being that common it will probably be a neat conversation piece when people come over. 2 footsteps in , being softer than cement they will say , Ooooooooooh. What’s this ???

I imagine too that not being that common it will probably be a neat conversation piece when people come over. 2 footsteps in , being softer than cement they will say , Ooooooooooh. What’s this ???
Yeah, you'll be regretting you got it when nobody shuts up about it!! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.