Any glass tile survivors out there?

:bounce::bounce::bounce: Oh oh oh!! AmyJo, you're brilliant for finding and posting this video!! It sounds awesome, and the demonstration is so encouraging! I've been wondering what I could do to slow down build-up once I get my tiles looking new again - or close to. Rain-X, turtle wax? But I wondered how those might affect the glass with pool water. I'd much rather use this shield made for glass tile.

I have questions, but I haven't looked yet to see if they have more info on the Shield. Does it have to be reapplied in a pool situation (since pool water isn't tap water)? If so, what's the typical time frame? How well does it work when applied to older tile (not newly installed)? How clean do I have to get my tile before applying it? I know glass is porous, so would it still be effective if there's any kind of build-up remaining? I'm so curious!!

I'm making headway getting rid of the build-up on my tiles. I still have some hazing left around the edges. I can't tell if it's permanent, or I haven't found the right product yet.

Have you already ordered your Shield??

Thank you, AmyJo! You knew I'd have a fit over this. I love TFP!!! Best networking ever!

Take care,
Suz

I love that you're so excited! I honestly know very little about it, but I was told to order it by the Oceanside Glasstile showroom manager and head of Tech support, so I did! I have all of my pretty glass tiles ... quarter rounds to trim everything ... cleaner .... this stuff .... and we are in a holding pattern due to a new 15"Wx12"Dx8"H concrete step that must cure for another 21 days. [emoji849]

Suz - I think you should call and talk to Oceanside. They are so great and I'm sure they will be happy to discuss the cleaning and shielding (I guess it's called?) of your tile. I would start first with Sheryl in their Carlsbad, CA Studio. She's the manager and SO nice. Her number is 760.603.3930. She really knows her stuff!

Please keep me posted on your progress!

You read my mind! I was going to ask if you would share some contacts with me. They'll be appalled at all the harsh chemicals I've been throwing at my poor tile. I'm tackling some siding replacement right now, but then I'll go back to the tile. I'll definitely let you know what I learn!

Thanks so much!
Suz

I found this thread deciding what to do with my Oceanside Glasstile - it hasn't fared well in 5 years. We went with Oceanside pipeline interlocking. Looked great for the first 6 months and then we started getting crazy buildup on grout and tile - like a white something that won't come off without pumice and lots of force. Also, many of the tiles are now cracked especially on the spa spillover wall.
But the biggest issue has been tiles popping off. I suspect we didn't use all the special brands of grout and such outlined by Oceanside, but whatever, the whole thing is disappointing given the money the tile costs.

We're in a position now where I guess we'll remove the top surface of tile on the spa wall and replace with something more durable - maybe even limestone like the coping.

If I were to do it again, I would certainly pick one of the more more "standard" ceramic tiles available that are low maintenance and can handle thermal shock of a spa.

Reactions: SuzfromTexas
I found this thread deciding what to do with my Oceanside Glasstile - it hasn't fared well in 5 years. We went with Oceanside pipeline interlocking. Looked great for the first 6 months and then we started getting crazy buildup on grout and tile - like a white something that won't come off without pumice and lots of force. Also, many of the tiles are now cracked especially on the spa spillover wall.
But the biggest issue has been tiles popping off. I suspect we didn't use all the special brands of grout and such outlined by Oceanside, but whatever, the whole thing is disappointing given the money the tile costs.

We're in a position now where I guess we'll remove the top surface of tile on the spa wall and replace with something more durable - maybe even limestone like the coping.

If I were to do it again, I would certainly pick one of the more more "standard" ceramic tiles available that are low maintenance and can handle thermal shock of a spa.

My 1" glass tile is about 5 years old and I have no cracks or loose tiles. I installed the tile myself with modified thinset and standard grout. If I could go back and do it again, I would do with a standard 6" tile. Even keeping LSI and CSI numbers at near 0, I have to clean buildup off of the tiles each season. I think this build up would be easier to deal with having less grout lines and material transitions that the minerals latch on to.

I am interested in this question as well. After 6 weeks I finally chose a glass tile, but because of the issues I've read about and discussed with knowledgeable tile setters, I've opted for only a glass waterline tile from Lunada Bay. We were going to have a raised wall but I decided stone would last the test of time. By the way, from everything I've heard and read Oceanside glass tile is the best out there and they do offer discounts on overstock listed on their Facebook page.
Hi, We also are using Lunada Bay tile, Tommy Bahama Surin 1x2 for our pool waterline and spa overflow areas. It has all been installed now I am choosing the grout color. There are clear glass tiles within the pattern and bright white thinset was used per installation instructions. Could you tell me what grout color you used and how your tile/grout is looking presently? 5mQK8vlASo6rs3ieH34tJQ.jpgLunada Bay Tommy Bahama 1x2 pool tile.png

Hi, We also are using Lunada Bay tile, Tommy Bahama Surin 1x2 for our pool waterline and spa overflow areas. It has all been installed now I am choosing the grout color. There are clear glass tiles within the pattern and bright white thinset was used per installation instructions. Could you tell me what grout color you used and how your tile/grout is looking presently? View attachment 126499View attachment 126497
Could you tell me what grout color you ended up selected for your tile? My pool has a Lunada Bay tozen tile selected with some blues and greens in it and I am trying to find something that does not draw the eye to the grid lines. I'm also wondering if your builder used Spectralock expoy or Permacolor cement grout?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.