any difference between Drain King brands?

snoopy42

Silver Supporter
May 12, 2014
Pearland, TX (Houston area)
Via some trial-and-error and reading the forums, I've determined that I likely have clog in the suction line for my pool vac. I see that using a Drain King and water hose at the pump side is the common first effort to clear it. Is there any difference among the various Drain King brands? It seems that G.T. Water was the original, but that will take a couple days via Amazon or Ace Hardware. Home Depot and Lowe's appear to carry their own brands, but I can get them tomorrow.

Tom

kadavis - Thanks.

Patrick - I'm really not sure. The neighbor's trees drop a lot of debris (leaves, etc.) in my pool this time of year...but that's every year, and I haven't seen anything that looks visually different. This is my first ever problem in 18 years with the suction line.

Well, it didn't quite work out the way I expected...but it worked. I went with the Home Depot version. Turned it on and off for several different durations, and wasn't seeing much of anything come out. Then I tried the tennis ball trick on the suction line entrance several times, and still only saw a little debris come out. That told me there was a little bit of flow, and not a complete blockage. Since I don't own a compressor that would allow me to increase the pressure jointly with the drain king in this direction, I decided to see if I had loosened the blockage enough that the pump would pull it into the pump basket...and voila! Success. It wasn't that much, just a gob of leaves, but I guess it must've been in an elbow or something.

So to everyone who posted about their previous experiences...thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.