any change to maintenance and testing routine with wet edge vs plaster?

NSBFAN

Nov 13, 2015
Minnesota
Hi everyone, my pool is nearing completion of its remodeling. I have a 14K gallon gunite pool, (chlorine, not SWG) and for the remodel we went with wet edge. The way I maintained the pool to-date was as follows:

- I ran a Kreepy Krauly sand shark most of the time with skimmer/shark on and bottom drains off.
- Brush sides and tile weekly
- take out shark and open bottom drains when adding stuff like calcium, borate, baking soda, etc to brush and circulate.
- I follow the TFP and pool math and use a taylor kit for testing.

I'm wondering if I have to do anything different with a pebble finish? Is use of the sand shark ok? Different ranges for chemicals? Types of chemicals?

the remodeler will refill and do the chemicals, but I doubt they will add borate.

Thanks.

Reactions: NSBFAN
I think @YippeeSkippy covered it all. I have Wet Edge (just finished 3rd summer season) and have had no issues. The first month is critical and hopefully the remodeler is supporting your testing and maintenance for that time (or majority of it). Brushing is really important.

Thank you very much. I did find the startup guide and I'm going to talk with my remodeler about support. So far, all they've talked about is getting the pool filled and chemicals done - no mention of post-support. Which I'm fine doing myself but will still ask.

I'm going to ask about that "sequestrant" stuff mentioned in the guide. I assume I should ask to make sure they use it? I don't know if they check the water or not. I think they are going to fill it using my water (with a fill exemption from the city for cost). I don't think they truck water for fills.

I need to get a new pole and brush! :)

Thank you very much. I did find the startup guide and I'm going to talk with my remodeler about support. So far, all they've talked about is getting the pool filled and chemicals done - no mention of post-support. Which I'm fine doing myself but will still ask.

I'm going to ask about that "sequestrant" stuff mentioned in the guide. I assume I should ask to make sure they use it? I don't know if they check the water or not. I think they are going to fill it using my water (with a fill exemption from the city for cost). I don't think they truck water for fills.

I need to get a new pole and brush! :)

Highly recommend this brush, it makes it SOO much easier to brush the pool!

Highly recommend this brush, it makes it SOO much easier to brush the pool!

I do have that brush and just bought a replacement after 5 years with the first one. It is great. I also bought a protuff pole - what a difference. It has locking extension vs compression fitting, and even at full 16' extension does not bend.

I finished the 28 days and the finish looks great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.