Any Advantage to a combo filter/pump vs separate?

somedaypool

Jun 9, 2020
Fresno, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I'm needing to upgrade my existing AquaPro cartridge filter system. When we bought our pool, we just went with a package deal from pool factory and it came with a filter system. My filter housing can no longer lock the filter inside because the tabs inside are broken off from twisting to remove. The pump is on it's last leg anyway since my children mangled the pump but shutting off a valve during running...it's a long story. Anyway, I'm researching new pumps and filters and I see that there are filter systems out there where they are sold together and separate pumps and filters you can buy individually. I'm thinking separate might be better because when one breaks, it can be replaced where right now, I could maybe keep my pump limping along but it's connected to the filter so I could see a benefit down the road if ones dies before the other. Does anyone have any suggestions and to pros and cons of the combo unit vs buying them individually?

Reactions: lpmail
Most combo systems are targeted for AG pools and do not include a self-priming pump so probably would not work for your pool. However, there are a few that do come with self-priming pumps. But in general, they come in smallish filter sizes which means frequent cleaning.

I bought a pentair filter and pump combo 6 years ago. I guess it depends how handy you are. I was getting tired of using a single speed pump so I bought a 2 speed pump and had a friend help me make the PVC attachments and fittings to connect a pentair filter with a tidal wave 2 speed pump. Took him about 30 mins to do. It's pretty easy to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.