Another Testimonial of How TFPC Saved Me

Apr 20, 2017
Phoenix
Some of you may remember me from earlier this summer. I discovered TFPC after buying a home with a pool and researching how best to maintain a pool. I'm one of the lucky ones that discovered this system before spending hundreds at the pool store.

It took me a few months to convince the boss of the house to drain pool to get CYA down, but once I did it was smooth sailing all summer. However, my first real hiccup came last Wednesday. I woke up early, because the lady and I were getting out of the AZ heat for a 5-day trip to Lake Tahoe. My cousin and his wife were kind enough to house, pool and dog sit while away.

As we were preparing to leave, I went to pre measure out the chlorine dose for him to add each day and clean out all the baskets. Afterwards, I went to go turn on pool pump and it stuttered like a car motor with a dead battery. The pump then gave out. It showed a message Drive error. I researched it on here and it appears to be a common problem with the Hayward EcoStar pump.

Anyway, I was devastated that of all days my pump decides to go out it's the day I go on my only trip of the summer. Life seems to work like that sometimes. Anyway, I told my cousin to just pour in the dose of chlorine each night and try to brush it around as much as he can. I figured that would help limit any algae growth for a few days.

So while away, I called my home warranty company and lucky for me they cover the replacement and would send out a person on the following Tuesday. Although happy about cost, I knew that would be 7-days without my pump running. I expected it would turn green, but my cousin kept on dosing and I did same upon my return home. It remained clear, but when the tech arrived he still needed to order part so that meant a few more days without pump running.

Today is now Thursday, which is 9-days without a pool pump and the tech just finished installing part and pump is now running. The pool is still blue and there are no visible signs of algae. I still expected some hidden algae after running tests, but to my surprise my first test showed FC was 6 and my CC was 0.

I still plan to bring my pool up to shock level, and do OCLT tonight just to be sure. I was always amazed at how easy this process is, however I'm blown away how the method saved me loads of problems when my pump went out for 9-days while AZ temps are still in low 100s.

Second takeaway for new homeowners, I recommend a home warranty that covers pool equipment. It basically cost me $65 for something that costs well over $500 plus labor. Because of that, the warranty already paid for itself.

Thanks again TFPC.

Great story! I have done just about the same thing for a week in the Tucson summer without a pump.

People just do not realize that the chlorine level is more important part of keeping a pool algae free.
Sure my pool was dirty after not having a pump running, but there was no algae.

Well Yay You!! Fortune was on your side this time with the warranty, and how you keep things going just fine anyway...great to read!!

Our pump also died this summer and we knew how to manage things the TFP way and keep the algae away. I just wish ours was under warranty like yours, LOL.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.