Another first-time pool owner thread

I've added what the pool calculator advised -- 50 oz of liquid chlorine (10%) and 61 oz of muriatic acid. It advised to add 166 oz of liquid stabilizer to reach 60 CYA. I bought two gallons, but chose to add only 128 oz (one gallon) and see what happens -- supposed to get me to 53 CYA. If I need to add more, I will. Just didn't want to add too much right away and regret it.

A couple more questions:
1. How long should I wait to measure FC, pH, CYA, TA, CH again?
2. How much liquid chlorine should I have on hand at home? I've got a bucket of tabs, but after reading up here I want to switch to liquid chlorine or bleach. Is $2.99 a gallon a good price for liquid chlorine (10%)? Local pool store has a sale going on at that price.

Again, thank you all for the input and advice.

To be safe, you can wait a week before testing the CYA again, especially if you added it in a way that it would get caught in your filter (that you shouldn't backwash for a week, in that case). If you added it with the sock method hanging over a return or a T-shirt in the skimmer, then testing after a few days should be OK (for me, I get 90% of the CYA expected amount after 1 day when dissolving in a T-shirt in the skimmer). The other items get well mixed quickly so you can test the next day if you are just double checking any chemical additions.

That price for chlorinating liquid is good -- not a bargain, but not bad either. Mine costs around $4 for 12.5% so equivalent to $3.20 at 10%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.