Another confused with SLAM

NewPoolGirlTX

Bronze Supporter
Sep 5, 2021
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
My pool was off for over a week, because PVC and I don't get along (see my other threads)

It got algae and turned green. Got it running and added chlorine last night.

Today it was at 0.
Now I may have screwed up. Here's my current values:

pH way high solid hot pink

FC>40 never gets clear even used a scale to make sure proper amount of power

CYA low, <30 can still see for

It's hot and sunny here so chlorine will burn off quickly

What do I address first once the chlorine is down? And at what level of chlorine?

Thanks in advance!!

It is hot here in TX today. So let's start here:
1. How did you test the FC to be higher than 40? Did you use the FAS-DPD powder and drops? 80 drops?
2. Don't do anything with the pH yet as a high FC can mess-up the pH test.
3. If you are sure the CYA is less than 30 (still see the dot), you need to increase it a bit. Maybe start with 10 ppm worth of stabilizer.

But let's be sure how you got that high FC level. How much chlorine did you add and confirm teh testing method.

Yea using FAS-DPD

And yep, I was counting every two drops and got tired at 40. I even got out a scale to make sure it was .1 g going in. And I've never seen it turn orange when you throw it back in

It was 0 this morning and I added one gallon.

Am I doing something wrong?
Two things:
1 - (minor) With the 10ml water sample you only need one generous/slightly heaping scoop of powder. The 2 level-scoop thing is when using the 25 ml sample size.
2 - Wrong drops. :) You should have some R-0871 drops. That's what you use with the R-0870 powder.

So try it again with the R-0871 drops and let us know how it goes.

Two things:
1 - (minor) With the 10ml water sample you only need one generous/slightly heaping scoop of powder. The 2 level-scoop thing is when using the 25 ml sample size.
2 - Wrong drops. :) You should have some R-0871 drops. That's what you use with the R-0870 powder.

So try it again with the R-0871 drops and let us know how it goes.
Oh Crud. I wonder how I did that?? LOL that would explain a lot, amirite?
I have been an idiot lately. Brain not functioning at full capacity:oops::rolleyes:

Believe me, we would ALL be standing in the TFP corner if we were counting our mistakes. You're not the first and certainly won't be the last. :hammer:
Thanks for not making fun when I deserve it 😂
My kit somehow got rearranged. I always have it in the same place. Oops!!
:lovetfp:
Going to pick up CYA around 4

Until then, what level should I aim for until then?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's so hot in our area the sun will grab free chlorine without the additional CYA protection, so just increase the FC to 10 ppm for now. Once you get back this afternoon and increase the CYA, then you can maintain a SLAM FC level of "12".

It's so hot in our area the sun will grab free chlorine without the additional CYA protection, so just increase the FC to 10 ppm for now. Once you get back this afternoon and increase the CYA, then you can maintain a SLAM FC level of "12".
Thank you so much

One more tho
When should I worry about pH?

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
You're not the first and certainly won't be the last. :hammer:
Lol so true. I've learned most everything by asking and reading.

The pool will be back to normal in some days by following the SLAM that Splash is telling you.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Reactions: NewPoolGirlTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.