Another black algae thread - confirming plan

letterk

Bronze Supporter
Apr 22, 2018
Chino, ca
I have the start of black algae in my SWG pool. Noticed on the Baja step under about 18" of water. A little bit on the first step down, but don't think I have any on the walls or bottom of the pool. I've read through a number of threads here and think I have a plan. I will admit I went to the pool store first, and for this I apologize. I think I stopped with their process early enough to do it the right way. I've been using Pool Math for over two years and love it.

Pool details:
  • About 20,000 gallons
  • Pebbletec Pebble Fina grey finish
  • Hayward SWG system with cartridge filter
Test results from this morning
  • FC: 18.0
  • CC: 1.0
  • pH: 7.6
  • TA: 100
  • CH: 250
  • CYA: 45
  • Salt: 2800
  • Temp: 79F (night temp)
The FC is high because I added the shock the pool store sold me. (Now I know just to use liquid chlorine.) I put in 4lbs of Super Shockwave. My normal target is 3, but often as low as 2.

The pH is probably wrong because I tested after adding the shock. I know it wasn't 7.2 so wondering if I need to add some acid.

I spent an hour or so scrubbing the black algae spots with a stainless steel brush and it looks 90% better. I will continue to scrub until I don't see it anymore, but it is a bit confusing as some of the aggregate makes a dark spot.

I did NOT add the Hasa Algae-Ban after I read it will bleach the plaster. I don't know why the pool store would sell me something that would damage my plaster, but maybe I should know better.

CYA is always a challenge to keep up because my dog swims about 2-3hrs every day. Salt also decreases faster than it should due to the dog, but moves slower.

The way I understand it is to keep the FC level high until all black algae is gone. Seeing as it's already 90% gone, how much longer would you expect?

I also always deal with a little brown algae and now wondering if I should keep my normal FC levels a little higher?

One other aspect to consider, is I never had algae problems until the pool company did an acid/polish twice to try to fix a bad plaster install. From day one, the plaster has been ugly. It was put in when it was 112F outside and I think it's damaged. Anyway, the issue is the acid washes have left the surface pitted and not smooth. I think that's giving the algae a place to grab on and hide from my brushing. Still fighting with the pool company to replace the plaster, but with covid, it might be a while.

I should also point out the water was crystal clear when I started.

Last edited:
Your CYA is 50, always round up if in between numbers. Possibly contributing to your algae issue, along with being below down to 2 or 3 FC.
Your FC is minimum of 4, target 6-8 and slam at 20.
See slam instructions in my signature with 3 criteria needed to pass.

I think your process is pretty good. Keep your FC elevated 8-10 ppm would seem about right and then once daily, steel brush the algae spots. I see no need to SLAM for this smallish bit of black algae (do you have a pic of it to confirm it is black algae?)

As far as your other algae issues, Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and then check the FC/CYA chart also in Pool School to let you know your correct ratios of FC to CYA.

If the other algae reappears, you will need to SLAM.

CYA is always a challenge to keep up because my dog swims about 2-3hrs every day. Salt also decreases faster than it should due to the dog, but moves slower.
Need more help.......I don't understand that.

Your CYA is 50, always round up if in between numbers. Possibly contributing to your algae issue, along with being below down to 2 or 3 FC.
Your FC is minimum of 4, target 6-8 and slam at 20.
See slam instructions in my signature with 3 criteria needed to pass.

Thanks for the response!

Hmm...I was going off the Pool Math target of 3. I am now learning there is more to it than that. For 2 years 3 worked great. No algae. It wasn't until they did the acid wash that algae started showing up. And this included a full drain and refill twice within 4 months. But I'll shoot for the higher FC target going forward.

How do you change the target in Pool Math permanently?

I think your process is pretty good. Keep your FC elevated 8-10 ppm would seem about right and then once daily, steel brush the algae spots. I see no need to SLAM for this smallish bit of black algae (do you have a pic of it to confirm it is black algae?)

I do not have a photo and most is already scrubbed off. It looked like photos online. They were small spots, the biggest about 3/8" with a raised smooth waxy dome on top. With a finger nail you could scrape it off. Rubbed against the skin the color was a very dark green.

As far as your other algae issues, Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and then check the FC/CYA chart also in Pool School to let you know your correct ratios of FC to CYA.

If the other algae reappears, you will need to SLAM.

I have read the ABC's when I first joined the forum and started using Pool Math a couple years ago. Had crystal clear water and zero algae until the acid washes. But it seems I also misunderstood the target FC.

Need more help.......I don't understand that.

The dog is a sponge. She jumps in and out of the pool between every lap. So she pulls out an enormous amount of water every day. This means not only do I have to add a lot of water, I have to add CYA and salt a lot faster than you'd expect. Pool store thought I had a leak. Bucket test showed it was the dog.

She's also completely ruined the surface of the concrete decking around the pool because there's no way we can hose it off every time she swims. Sigh.

How do you change the target in Pool Math permanently?
When you look at results in overview, click on FC. This takes you to where you set your target. Be sure to look at Chlorine/CYA chart first. I set mine at the lower end of Target from chart, although I have it memorized as it is same every day! grin wink.

When you look at results in overview, click on FC. This takes you to where you set your target. Be sure to look at Chlorine/CYA chart first. I set mine at the lower end of Target from chart, although I have it memorized as it is same every day! grin wink.

I can change it there temporarily, but it doesn't save. I know what the target is, it's just a minor annoyance I can't change it permanently.

Well, if it's a dog, there is NO FAULT.....It's his/her pool, anyway!

True words. It's definitely her pool!

Reactions: Msch99
This morning found two or three small blobs of the black algae. Brushed again. Overnight test showed a FC drop of about 2, so I'll keep FC high today. The dog didn't die for lack of swimming yesterday, so I think she can make it another day. FC dropped 8 during the day yesterday.

I noticed the algae/mold under the spa waterfall is gone or at least bleached, so that's pretty awesome.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.