And now for something completely different....SLaM progress

Mar 27, 2013
Newark, DE
So I opened my pool almost 2 weeks ago, and well the pump was pushing more water out then I could put in so I got a new pump and redid the plumbing from the intake to the returns and all in between and replaced the slider valve with a multi-port valve, and had to replace the bulkhead fitting on the filter. So I'm back to the SLaM again.

Not SWCG

Swamp, Raked the bottom, Filter till 11 p.m. Backwashed first thing next day
Day 1
PH High off the charts, Added about 2 gallons of MA (not all at once about 1 quart ever hour)
CYA = 10 added 1 Gal Liquid CYA
FC = 0 (added 3 gals of 10% to get to FC 10)
CC = 0
TA = 80
CH = Vinyl

Murky Green to Cloudy Blue, Filter 24hrs
Day 2
PH = 7.5
CYA = 25
TA = 40
FC = .5
CC = 2

Added 3 gallons througout the day to maintain 10 FC

Cloudy Blue still can't see the bottom, Filter 24 hours
Day 3 (Today)
FC = 4

Backwashed and Added 1 gallon per Pool Math
That is where I am out.

Does this look good so far?
I should really just be testing FC during SLaM correct?

TIA,

Pictures would be better, but sounds like you're following the procedure.

If the CYA is 30 or above now, you should be targeting 12 FC.

Other than possibly testing CYA, all you worry about testing for now is FC. When the water is clear and you're about ready for the overnight test, then you look at CC too.

Once you've passed the three tests and the SLAM is done, then you can worry about fine tuning the rest. That can be done in a matter of hours even allowing generous wait times between additions.

I put some chlorine pucks in to help add some more CYA over time, I'm not sure if I should get some of the powder and do the sock method.
Which would be the best way for raising the CYA, liquid, powder, or the 3" TriChlor tablets?
How cloudy the water is bugs me but it is getting better I think, I will post a picture of the water when I go out next to test.

I put some chlorine pucks in to help add some more CYA over time, I'm not sure if I should get some of the powder and do the sock method.
Which would be the best way for raising the CYA, liquid, powder, or the 3" TriChlor tablets?
How cloudy the water is bugs me but it is getting better I think, I will post a picture of the water when I go out next to test.
If the pucks were added since the last CYA test, don't add any more CYA right now.

Looks like a gallon of liquid stabilizer adds 19 CYA. With the 10 you started with and the pucks, I'd say you're real close to 30 CYA and should SLAM at 12 FC.

I just tested the CYA one more time and it was below 20 so it may well be at 19 as the dot disappeared just after it went past the 20 line.

I tested the FC as well it is at 7.5 and I added about 1.25qts of 12.5% per Pool Math.

Here is the current look of the water, shallow end ~4ft, I can barely see my blue net at about 2.5 ft under, you can just barely make out the white return diverter on the left wall in the pic, which is about 1ft under the waterline.

1592412502237.png

So last night I was at 5 FC and I put in the dose to get me to 12 per pool math I have been keeping the FC above 5 since Sunday, this morning i was at 7.5 and I added the required amount again. So far I have gone through 3 gals of 10% and 6 gallons of 12.5% but the pool is still really cloudy, that the pic above hasn't changed, the water level did go up a few inches, but other than that I still can't see the bottom of the shallow end.

Is this normal?

TIA

So last night I was at 5 FC and I put in the dose to get me to 12 per pool math I have been keeping the FC above 5 since Sunday, this morning i was at 7.5 and I added the required amount again. So far I have gone through 3 gals of 10% and 6 gallons of 12.5% but the pool is still really cloudy, that the pic above hasn't changed, the water level did go up a few inches, but other than that I still can't see the bottom of the shallow end.

Is this normal?

TIA
The quantities of bleach actually sound kind of low for a pool your size. How often are you replenishing the FC?

every 3 to 4 hours, i just went out and tested again to check, looks like my guestimate of how much i put in 45 mins. ago was over the amount recommended the FC is at 15, but that will go down fast because it is sunny today and gets full sunlight all day from 9 till 4

Still cloudy as of this morning. I will test numbers shortly. Should I be vacuuming to waste as I am still not able to see the bottom. Also can I deploy my Electric Powered Inground pool Cleaning Buddy aka ”EPIC B”, not the famous DJ, actually I don’t know if there is even a DJ named that, now?

TIA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test results as of 0830 EST 6/20/2020
Visual condition is cloudy visibility < 3ft. Water temp 72.
FC = 7.5
PH = 6.8
TA = 40
CYA < 20
CH = 75

Since my last full test I’ve been > 5 FC and backwashing as needed. Time between gas gone from every 4 hours to 2 times a day now. Overnight pressure increase is 1-2psi last night.
I saw some leaves float up to just below the surface and sink back down. I may have missed some bottom debris but I can’t see the bottom to tell. Could that be my problem?

Test results as of 0830 EST 6/20/2020
Visual condition is cloudy visibility < 3ft. Water temp 72.
FC = 7.5
PH = 6.8
TA = 40
CYA < 20
CH = 75

Since my last full test I’ve been > 5 FC and backwashing as needed. Time between gas gone from every 4 hours to 2 times a day now. Overnight pressure increase is 1-2psi last night.
I saw some leaves float up to just below the surface and sink back down. I may have missed some bottom debris but I can’t see the bottom to tell. Could that be my problem?
Yep. Any debris in the pool, the chlorine is going to try to oxidize it. So vacuum blindly if you have to.

I did some vacuuming and there was some spots with enough leaves to clog up the vacuum head a couple time. When the water level got low I switched back to the leaf skimmer. I got a good amount out and I did notice that now when I am bringing a good scoop of debris it doesn‘t have the swamp like before so that’s a good thing I guess.

before that the FC was 10.5 but overcast day so probably helped. But 1.5 loss is much better the the 4-7 it has been.

Day 8, did a full test this morning
Previous FC was 10 last night added about a little over 1 qt.

8:11 a.m
FC = 13
CC = 0
PH = 6.8
TA = 40
CH = 75
CYA < 20

I threw this together with some zip ties and a 4ft. paint pole(not used yet)
each zip tie is about 3" apart at the top with 1 ft intervals for the lowest marks.
so it is about 3" to 6" visibility. My patience is holding but it is so frustrating at time.

1592917069400.png

Last night FC was at 4.5 at Sundown, replenished it back to 12.

this morning FC was at 10.5 put in required amount to bring it back to 12.

Clarity is the same no improvement.

I'm not sure if I'm now being impatient but the pool has been less than 2 FC loss the past few days, the pump has been running since last Monday non-stop at 3,450 RPM, I haven't needed to do a Backwash in 3 days, the pump pressure has only gone from 15 - 17 psi.

I'll try and figure out my flow rate, I've never done that before.

am I doing anything wrong?
should I over charge(not sure if that is the right term) my DE filter and put in a larger amount of Media than during normal operation?
is the PH too low?
CYA too low?
would a floc work in this situation?

No floc. I think your biggest issue is you are letting the FC drop to well below SLAM levels. The more you are at/near the SLAM level the better (I know its hard with life/work getting in the way).

Dont worry about the other chemicals, just FC, your filter, and brushing/debris removal at this point. I dont think "overcharging" will do any good with your filter, just keep an eye on pressure and backwash accordingly. Keep up the good work and good luck.

You know, I re-read and see your comment on your CYA being < 20. It would not hurt to bump it to 30 to help protect some of your FC from the sun, if your biggest losses are during the day due to the sun.

Reactions: edif30
yes the biggest losses are during the daytime, I usually am able to keep up the FC in the mornings, but then being away from it from noon till 7-8 pm is when it really drops. Is it a good idea to bump it to say 18 FC at noon so it won't go too far down by 5 when it starts to shade?

i just tested after I topped the FC off at 8 a.m(45 mins.) and it is at 14 right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.