Am I Using the FAS/DPD Correctly?

Get a SpeedStir
THIS. So. Much. This.

I used to say it was amazing and all that jazz and it was too cliché. Now I simply recommend you go and try to take somebody else's away. Let that be your guide to how they feel about it.

Protip: Be prepared to fight dirty. Because they will if they need to.

Reactions: pjt
turn your SWCG off for a few days and allow the FC to drift down.
This ^^

By watching the chlorine drop, you’ll gain more confidence in your results. Then turn it back on and watch it go up. Again, by repeating the test and having it match your actions, you’ll gain the confidence/expertise that you need in order to trust the process.

I would definitely spend some time researching what SWG you have. It looks like mine - a Hayward. It would be good to ensure you know exactly what you have. As was pointed out, you may have a very high capacity unit compared to your pool size.

Also remember, that there’s two dials to control the chlorine from a SWG. The knob you have set at 30% and the amount of time you run your pump.

Also, also, not sure if you have a solar cover, but when I use my solar cover, I don’t lose as much chlorine. For example, I have my SWG set at 50% and my pump runs for about 14 hours. We’re not swimming yet (live in MI) and my chlorine is up around 15 and rising this past week. I attribute that to cloudy conditions and the cover. In the summer when the cover is off most of the day, the suns shining and we’re swimming, there’s no way those settings will be enough to keep my chlorine so high.

ETA - I just looked at your picture and the SWG says sanitizer 40. I’m guessing that means you have the model for a 40K gallon pool. That may coincide with your issue but needs to be confirmed.

Last edited:
I would also strongly recommend that you dutifully track your SWG settings in the PoolMath app. I am in Year 3 of our pool and failed to do that previously so I'm only now setting a reliable baseline for what settings I need to keep the Chlorine level stable and to understand how my pool responds when I adjust the SWG.

Reactions: newdude
Realizing your point in the season is critical too. For something so simple, it escapes many.

With the exception of an occasional whoopsie week, FC loss more or less fits a schedule and it helps you set appropriate targets when you factor the *when* along with the *how much*. This is a crude graph for FC loss, but you get the idea. :)

Screenshot_20240504_164917_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Steve-D
Realizing your point in the season is critical too. For something so simple, it escapes many.

With the exception of an occasional whoopsie week, FC loss more or less fits a schedule and it helps you set appropriate targets when you factor the *when* along with the *how much*. This is a crude graph for FC loss, but you get the idea. :)

View attachment 573438
For us Micchiganders, @Newdude's chart would look more like this :)

1715874979833.png

• Haha
Reactions: newdude
We get plenty of whoopsie weeks here too. :laughblue:

I've been swimming several times already and then I woke up to 38 degrees the other day.

• Haha
Reactions: SJPoe