Am I going in the right direction?

Aug 22, 2016
Chicago, IL
We opened our pool about 2 weeks ago (pool store did it because I am still somewhat intimidated with the filter and everything) and it never got crystal clear. We used bleach to chlorinate last summer after we bought a house with a pool and really enjoyed the simplicity and cost savings. IMG_20170605_160014502.jpg

This time, it was very blue, I could see the bottom of the shallow end but nothing in the deep end. My readings yesterday afternoon ( 2 pm) were

FC 2.5

PH 7.4
Alkaline 100
CH 180
CYA 40

Since the water was cloudy, the 2.5 is less than the target of 3 and the weather is supposed to be in the 70's so I don't expect any of my nephews coming over to swim in the next week so I decided to start SLAM. Here are my results over the last 24 hrs

Sunday 5:30 pm CDT
FC 18
PH 7.4
Alkaline 100
CH 180
CYA 40

Sunday 11 pm

FC 17

OCLT this morning at 5 am

FC 15 so I added 35 oz of 12.5% chlorinator

Today 10:45 am
FC 11
I expected this since around 9 am I realized we never cleaned the pool light and I scrubbed out a ton of algae. So now I added 174 oz of 12.5 %

Today 12:45 pm
FC 13.5

Added 87 oz of 12.5%

Today 2:15 pm
FC 13
Added 105 oz of 12.5%

Today 5:15 pm
FC 11
Added 174 oz of 12.5%

I have a few concerns. Should I need to be dosing this much, this often? Or am I doing something wrong? Also, I suspect metals in the water. When doing the calcium hardness test the sample turns purple around 15 drops, then turns blue around 18. When I look at the sample it looks like particles floating in there. Not sure what I can do about it? I am fairly sure the CYA is 40, I ordered the standards kit so I can figure out if I am actually doing it right, but that won't arrive until Wednesday.

I know I need to keep the SLAM going and do another OCLT, but is there anything else I need to watch for? This is the first SLAM we've done, so I think I need a bit of hand-holding... Thanks in advance!

The attached photo is from about 5 pm

Try this for CH test:

• The sample may turn purple during the test, or go to blue for a moment and then turn back to red/pink. This is called a "fading endpoint" and is caused by interference from metal ions. If this happens, do the test again, but this time add five drops of R-0012 before adding any R-0010 or R-0011L. Remember to count the initial five drops in the total.
    In extreme cases, a fading endpoint may occur even when adding five drops of R-0012 at the start. If that happens, mix pool water with an equal quantity of distilled water, test that, and then multiply the result by two.

I tried with the r-0012 first, hit purple at drop 15 and then it turned blue at 18. I was able to get a solid blue using the diluted sample at 9 drops, so 180 but it still turned purple for drop 8. Is this still a fading endpoint? Is there anything else I can do?

FC at 9 pm is 16. Hopefully OCLT is less than 1 in the morning. Cc has never been more than .5 then the only remaining task would be clear water.....

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Why is your signature not in your latest posts? I see it in your first post but not the follow ups. Did you leave the box checked to include it?

If you pass the OCLT, then you might try to use a little DE in your sand filter to help clear up the water.

I am not sure why it's not displaying my signature, perhaps it is because I am on my phone? The box to display it is checked both on the post and in my profile though. *edit : looks like on my phone when I just clicked quick reply it didn't add the signature, this time I went to advanced and made sure the checkbox to show signature was checked and it posted *

FC was 13 just now, so I have another day of slamming ahead. It seems like things are getting worse.... The overnight drop was only 2 yesterday, 3 today and the water looks less clear than before

This morning at 5 am I added 105 Oz of 12.5.

I tested at 9:30 am, FC was at 14. I added another 70 Oz to keep it at 16.

I am starting to wonder if I should pick up a manual vacuum to get to whatever is at the bottom of the deep end since the Polaris isn't getting whatever is causing this. Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks spinhd, I just went to Leslie's and was able to pick up a similar vacuum. (much cheaper and useful than the regular manual vacuum I was going to get)

After I posted this morning, I cleared out the bag from the Polaris and realized what was going on. We had our siding redone in the spring (while the pool cover was on) and I bet when the pool guys took off the cover they dumped all the debris into the pool. And when they vacuumed the bottom I bet they didn't get all of it out.

Another reason for me to get over the intimidation of opening/closing and just start doing it ourselves

I attempted to use the combo vac, but I got nothing into the bag. In case I was doing something wrong, I tried my Catfish pool blaster and it also picked up nothing from the deep end. I even checked the Polaris and its bag is also clean. It seems there is no debris at the bottom. I am at a loss for what to do next ( other than continuing to SLAM).

FC still falling, 14.5 at 1 pm and then added 52 oz of 12.5 and 11 at 2:15 pm, added 174 oz. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I have never deep cleaned the sand or the filter. Should that be my next step?

I cannot tell what the size is, the sticker is gone except for the part that says Pac Fab. How can I figure that out?

The pump is a STA-RITE pump model P6EA6E-205L and there is a booster pump for the Polaris

Attachments

• IMG_20170606_153702470.jpg
    IMG_20170606_153702470.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
If you are not seeing the pool Clarity improve everyday that you need to start thinking about a filter issue. You could initially try adding some de to your filter to see if that speeds up clearing the cloudiness.

I am noticing it getting slightly better each day. Today the OCLT was 0 :D and CC was .2
This morning I can see the robot in the deep end and the shallow end is sparkling. I can't quite make out the main drain yet. I am going to add some DE to the filter today and keep FC around 16 for a little while longer.

We planned on checking out the filter and deep cleaning at the end of the season, perhaps we will do that sooner. I am going to call Pentair and see if they can help me figure out which filter I have.

Thank you for all your advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.