Always Save Bleach - Very Disappointed!

Jul 11, 2013
Wichita, KS
I've had our pool for 6 years now and have used the TFP method for almost all of it. For the last 5 years, I have purchased Always Save brand regular bleach for 1.19 here at a local grocery store (sometimes getting 10 percent off my entire bleach order). The 96 ounce bottle has always said 6% sodium hypochlorite. I had 2 cases left from the year before and used that first. Perfect...didn't lose any chlorine storing it over winter...tests were as expected. When I was out of town a few weeks ago, my wife put in an order for 4 cases and picked them up and started using them. She would call me with the test results and I'd tell her how to much to add. Overnight, we appeared to be losing a lot of chlorine yet our CC was always 0.0 to 0.5. When I got into town, I checked the bottles and they have a new design. First red flag. The bottle no longer says how much sodium hypochlorite it has, but rather just says it has it (no percentage). Second red flag. The chlorine smell in the bottle is very faint and almost crystal clear. 3rd and 4th red flags. So I added a few bottles and waited an hour and tested and my FC only went up about 1.0. So, we called the company and my assumption was correct but far worst than I feared. They confirmed it now has 2% sodium hypochlorite. Yikes!! That's a huge drastic change.

Anyway, I was living the good life paying ridiculous low prices for chlorine for 5 years. I guess all good things must come to an end and now I am buying 121 ounce bottles of Great Value regular bleach (also 6%) for 2.60 (still not as good as deal as before). I also don't think I can buy in bulk like before but will need to check with the local Walmart first.

For anyone who has been using that brand (
Always Save), beware!!

Anyone here in the Midwest have a better alternative to Walmart's brand?

And if this the wrong forum, please accept my apology!

Cheers!

So I've been running tests on Attwood's "Pool Shock". At 1 gallon and 10 percent sodium hypochlorite, it should add approximately 3.5 of FC. I've ran a test bright and early the last several mornings and only getting anywhere from 0.5 to 2.0 per gallon...mostly in the 1.0 range. I've noticed a different of color and strength of smell from bottle to bottle as well. Of note, I've ran the same test on Walmart's Great Value 121 ounce 6 percent, and I am getting exactly 2.0 each bottle (which is right where it should be). Have you had any quality issues with the Pool Shock from Atwoods?

I've had our pool for 6 years now and have used the TFP method for almost all of it. For the last 5 years, I have purchased Always Save brand regular bleach for 1.19 here at a local grocery store (sometimes getting 10 percent off my entire bleach order). The 96 ounce bottle has always said 6% sodium hypochlorite. I had 2 cases left from the year before and used that first. Perfect...didn't lose any chlorine storing it over winter...tests were as expected. When I was out of town a few weeks ago, my wife put in an order for 4 cases and picked them up and started using them. She would call me with the test results and I'd tell her how to much to add. Overnight, we appeared to be losing a lot of chlorine yet our CC was always 0.0 to 0.5. When I got into town, I checked the bottles and they have a new design. First red flag. The bottle no longer says how much sodium hypochlorite it has, but rather just says it has it (no percentage). Second red flag. The chlorine smell in the bottle is very faint and almost crystal clear. 3rd and 4th red flags. So I added a few bottles and waited an hour and tested and my FC only went up about 1.0. So, we called the company and my assumption was correct but far worst than I feared. They confirmed it now has 2% sodium hypochlorite. Yikes!! That's a huge drastic change.

Anyway, I was living the good life paying ridiculous low prices for chlorine for 5 years. I guess all good things must come to an end and now I am buying 121 ounce bottles of Great Value regular bleach (also 6%) for 2.60 (still not as good as deal as before). I also don't think I can buy in bulk like before but will need to check with the local Walmart first.

For anyone who has been using that brand (
Always Save), beware!!

Anyone here in the Midwest have a better alternative to Walmart's brand?

And if this the wrong forum, please accept my apology!

Cheers!
You guys have Menards, according to google at least. They’re running a sale on 12.5% LC for like $4 for two gallons until 7/6.

Reactions: KSpoolguy
For the atwoods chlorine, I don't have a bottle handy but the expiration was sometime in 2020. One of the possible culprits is that I noticed the seal on the bottle was loose. Not sure if that makes a difference. The seal on the Always Save brand was always super tight and I had to use a knife to get it off. With the Walmart brand, the seal is also very tight.

I'll give the Menards brand a try. That is a great deal!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.