Alternative Backwash Hose

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
Here I talked about getting a better/durable backwash hose. I honestly didn't follow through with this earlier this year because we didn't get a lot of rain until this fall. I'm in the midst of getting one right now. Though my pool will be closed 3 weeks, I want to have this hose ready and set to go for next season. It would also help to have it now as I am letting a lot of pool water drain into my neighbors backyard. Not cool.

I currently have a 1.5" x 50' PVC backwash hose and I need to update it to a longer durable backwash hose (100'). My PVC pipe on the backwash line is 1 1/2" (1.5"). It was recommended (using this link) that a more durable hose would be this. However, wouldn't a 2" be too big for my 1.5" PVC pipe?

Also, I was looking online and I saw this hose that looks to be promising. Any suggestions here?

In addition, I heard that it is more suitable to get two 50' hose as opposed to one 100' how. It makes things easier I heard. If I get two 50' hose, how would I connect the two together?

I know... I know... lots of questions. I guess I was a bit confused in my earlier post this year. Just trying to clarify so that I get the correct hose.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a firehose on my set up, but its not actually used for backwashing, but the use is irrelevant. A hose is a hose. I used 3 of the radiator hose clamps and clamped it to my pipe.
I used a couple of pipe fittings to match the pipe to the hose adn got it as close as I could and the hose still slide over the pipe. As close as I could get it is 1 3/4.

Using clamps is how most hoses connect to the backwash pipe. Really no need to get fancy unless you just want to.

And if you need a 100 feet, then get that, it doesnt make good sense to attach two 50's together.
All of that connecting and disconnecting and rolling up 2 hoses when you're done? nahhhhh.
100 fee its not too much to handle. Ive 100 ft of firehose and even though its heavy, i can maneuver it just fine.

Reactions: Mendy48
I scored two 50' x 1 3/4" fire hoses from the fire department one city over from me - for free. 1 3/4" fire hose fits over 1 1/2" PVC pipe really tightly.

Maybe call around to the local fire departments and ask what they do with their de-certified fire hoses.

Ok! I'll call the fire department here tomorrow and see if they have a 1 3/4" x 100' hose cause I really can't find an exact dimensions online. It's either I buy a 1.5" or 2" hose (there's nothing in-between). My pipe fitting is 1.5" so I need something a tad bit bigger, but not a 2". If anyone could find one online, please let me know. :) ITMT, I'll call the fire department tomorrow. :)

I have used 2" backwash type hose with 1.5" PVC. AfterI slipped the hose over the PVC, I folded the hose over and secured to the pipe using 2 hose clamps. It may slightly leak past the hose clamps just a little, but nothing too noticable. It doesn't have to be a water tight seal - 99.9% of the water will exit at the opposite end of the hose.

Ok! I'll call the fire department here tomorrow and see if they have a 1 3/4" x 100' hose

Just a quick note on that. Typically, the 1 3/4" fire hose only comes in 50' sections. Even if you could find it in 100' it would be extremely bulky to carry. Two 50' sections will work just fine for you and they assemble together easily. When asking your local FD just ask them if they have any Out of Service Inch and three quarter hose line that they don't need.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.