May 5, 2020
Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi also new to TFP.

We had a pool service company unexpectedly come out to our house today (just bought a few months ago), apparently pool opening preset by previous owners.

We went ahead and had them do their same "package" that they did for the owners, mainly to get the process started.

Our pool is an in-ground vinyl pool, with a sand filter. They tested the water (green water), the results are attached in a photo. The pool company recommended a slew of additional products for our pool which we declined (though I had him send what he was recommending just to know what they are saying). My father owns a pool out west and does everything himself so that is how I learned about this blog. Why is the CYA so low, is that even possible? I have been reading the basics on here, so I assume we just SLAM and test from there? Also, I have backwashed the sand filter a third time now over the last 6 hours since the filter has been on. Is that normal? IT is also raining now.test results Aquatic Solns May 5, 2020.jpg

We are waiting on our Taylor test kit to get here from Amazon, which we already had ordered before this company was out today.

WE are thinking we likely dont need this company again (at least for opening the pool). He did pour 3 lbs of "shock into it."

Any help or recommendations, feedback is appreciated.

Hi also new to TFP.

We had a pool service company unexpectedly come out to our house today (just bought a few months ago), apparently pool opening preset by previous owners.

We went ahead and had them do their same "package" that they did for the owners, mainly to get the process started.

Our pool is an in-ground vinyl pool, with a sand filter. They tested the water (green water), the results are attached in a photo. The pool company recommended a slew of additional products for our pool which we declined (though I had him send what he was recommending just to know what they are saying). My father owns a pool out west and does everything himself so that is how I learned about this blog. Why is the CYA so low, is that even possible? I have been reading the basics on here, so I assume we just SLAM and test from there? Also, I have backwashed the sand filter a third time now over the last 6 hours since the filter has been on. Is that normal? IT is also raining now.View attachment 137084

We are waiting on our Taylor test kit to get here from Amazon, which we already had ordered before this company was out today.

WE are thinking we likely dont need this company again (at least for opening the pool). He did pour 3 lbs of "shock into it."

Any help or recommendations, feedback is appreciated.
I don’t know that I’d trust their results - here’s a thread discussing that specific device:

For now you want to add 5ppm daily of liquid chlorine until your test kit comes in and can do your own tests. :)

Thanks for the reply. I have my test kit now and have started the SLAM process. My pool has turned from green to blue, starting to get clearer.
I put in 325 fl oz of liquid chlorine (10%) last night (was at 1.5 ppm FC, CC was 4 ppm, so based on CYA of 40, FC target should be 16, this is based on a 18,000 gallon pool (not entirely sure the gallonage yet...), new owner of the pool, just bought house a few months ago.

Today - always using 10 mL sample
FC - 2.5 ppm
CC - 6 ppm

Do I keep putting chlorine in to try to reach the target? I have not backwashed in several days because originally my CYA was at likely close to 0, or way below 30. so i Put in dry stabilizer(100 % CYA) in a pool sock in the skimmer and it said not to backwash a few days to wait for it to dissolve fully, and look to be at CYA of 40. PH is about 7.4.

All the help is appreciated, I have learned a lot reading all of the posts others have made.

Yes, keep putting the amounts suggested in Pool Math to get to SLAM level and keep it there until the water clears.

Backwash only when the pressure increases 25% from the original pressure. So make a note of the pressure after you backwash. That is your reference number. For example after backwashing psi on my filter is 14. An increase of 25% is 17.5 psi. That is when I know it's time to backwash.

Reactions: Mdragger88
THanks for the response. It put more liquid chlorine in yesterday evening. Tested about an hour after putting it in. was at 4.5 ppm FC, and about 9.5 ppm CC.

Today tested (was not able to test til just now because of work) - am at 1 ppm FC, and 4.5 ppm CC and the pool looks cloudier than yesterday (though I vacuumed and brushed yesterday before putting the liquid chlorine in). And the pressure on the gauge is lower than what my base is, have not seen that yet. Any issues with that?

What you're doing, by the way you're adding chlorine, demonstrates you don't understand what the SLAM is about.
By your numbers, you have not started the SLAM process.
You need to add chlorine to get to the Shock Level based on your CYA, which you said was 16, And then Maintain that FC level at 16 until it does not decrease and the CC does not exist. You will be putting chlorine in every few hours until it's holding longer. Then you might be able to wait longer periods when you're not losing the chlorine as quickly. But you still have to keep it at 16ppm.
Please read the instructions on how to SLAM:

The pool looks cloudier because you don't have enough chlorine in the water and the algae is growing faster than you're killing it. Sad to say, it will be green soon if you don't get the SLAM going. And you'd have wasted a lot of time, chlorine and money.

I read the SLAM post a few weeks back and have been reading about it. Then after putting the chlorine in, should be adding the amount and keep testing til I get to 16? How long after I put the initial chlorine in should be I testing? The amount I put is what the pool calculators say to put in. I hope I am making sense. In other words, when I tested last night and had the FC at 4.5 ppm, should I have put more in to get it 16 at that point? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

Yes, get it to 16 and keep it there. Make sure you are running the pump and filter 24/7. Test 30 min. after adding chlorine.
If pool math is telling you to add an amount and 30 min. later it is not high enough, then you need to add more. Possibly the pool is larger than you think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.