almost catching prime

jrguzmanr

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I have a leak in my pump, which I bought the kit http://www.poolcenter.com/gokit3.jpg to hopefully replace.....well that's another issue, but thought you should know in case it's related to the problem below.

Every night I have to prime the pump, and I'm noticing strange behavior which I cannot explain. I close all the returns except for my closest skimmer, fill up the pump basket and turn on the pump. All is working fine, and the pump reaches about 90-95% capacity and then it just loses prime. It doesn't start to lose it, it just loses it.

If I do the same process with the main drain, it works fine (it just takes me longer). Once it gets primed, I can then open my skimmers without any problems. Can somebody explain why I lose prime with the closest skimmer. BTW, once the pump is working fine, the closest skimmer's suction is good.

thanks

jrguzmanr

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
but the water level is half-way up the skimmer which, from what I understand, is the correct level. Of course, I'm a newbie, so I could be wrong...probably am too.

I guess I will try it again, with the skimmer cover off and see what's going on there.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Sometimes even with the water level half way the water will form a vortex when you're drawing a lot of water through it and suck air in. Sometimes it's caused by the weir sticking so check that as well.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
jrguzmanr said:
but the water level is half-way up the skimmer which, from what I understand, is the correct level. Of course, I'm a newbie, so I could be wrong...probably am too.

I guess I will try it again, with the skimmer cover off and see what's going on there.
That sounds like a good plan. Check that the weir on that skimmer (the flapper) isn't binding. If I hold the weir closed, I can empty my strainer and be sucking air in about 4 seconds!

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
drummerman951 Testing and Balancing Your Water 5
T Under Construction 1
Jangus Under Construction 18

Other Threads of Interest