All the things I wish I knew before our build

Great write up and I have used tons of this information on my current build. This will help noobs like me (hope to look back in a few years and laugh since TFP will make me a pro for my pool) have a GREAT starting point and have lots of information to take back to there pool builders or the subs if OB route

a few things to add:
-oversize the filter and SWG
- SWG is chlorine and makes your pool more trouble free
-stub for a few electrical outlets in. backyard, it really helps down the line
- put extra pvc sleeves in backyard while trenches are dug. Makes it easy for future landscaping or lighting (thanks beachhead)
- like grump said HOLD your ground on the things you want and make sure your PB has a great reason to change it

Great write up and I have used tons of this information on my current build. This will help noobs like me (hope to look back in a few years and laugh since TFP will make me a pro for my pool) have a GREAT starting point and have lots of information to take back to there pool builders or the subs if OB route

a few things to add:
-oversize the filter and SWG
- SWG is chlorine and makes your pool more trouble free
-stub for a few electrical outlets in. backyard, it really helps down the line
- put extra pvc sleeves in backyard while trenches are dug. Makes it easy for future landscaping or lighting (thanks beachhead)
- like grump said HOLD your ground on the things you want and make sure your PB has a great reason to change it

Will, I agree with all of these. The only thing I didn't do enough of was the pvc. I ran one conduit for landscape lighting but not enough. My new sod is a mess now while finishing the lighting and wiring speakers around the pool. It turns out I needed another run on the other side of the pool. Pvc is cheap, put it everywhere it can be reasonably used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R2-D2, Asimo, Wall-E, etc. Robot cleaners - the future, available now.

Wow Brian - great work on this! I agree with so many of your points....some of them I haven't even thought of since it is over my head. There are so many things to consider for pool installs and I find it so overwhelming. ...our backyard gets dug up Monday and I am so not ready as I keep thinking "is there a better layout/design"...."are my pool depths okay for my family"...live and learn I suppose as there is no turning back! Glad I am not alone on this!

Brian has some excellent points. I wish I would have had TFP and all of the helpful people when we had our first pool installed. There are a lot of "little" details that can really make the difference between a wonderful experience, and a "chore" when it comes to owning a pool. So it really helps to at least consider what other people have experienced. I was very lucky, and had a PB that took the time to go through most of those items before we started, but he still missed a couple things on his list. And I'm sure as time goes on, and we actually get to use our new toy, I'll find more. I am wishing I had thought more about my steps, but they are exactly the same height/tread width as our old pool, so when we finalized the design, we never gave them another thought.

One thing that I think is critical, is to build what you want, and what you think/know will fit how you will be using the pool. As an example, in our first pool, it was pretty small, and short. Knowing nothing about pools, we went with our PB's suggestion of a 3.5-6' depth. This was fine for me, but the rest of the family is not as vertically blessed as I am, so half the pool seemed to never get used except for the girls to float and get tans on top of the water. This was great for me, as I always had an uncrowded spot to go..;) Now fast forward 20+ years, and we have the opportunity to do it again. This time, we went 3-5' depth. Yes, those kids are grown, but now they are bringing the grandkids to play, and they are not any taller. This is obviously the opposite of what most will suggest, but it's what seems like will work the best for our needs. (And naturally, this generation is going to want the opposite!)

I doubt any pool is absolute perfection, as it is a fairly complicated system, filled with compromises (and water) but the more it "fits" the easier it is to live with those things that aren't "perfect".

Totally agree with you on the depth and size of your pool. I think you have to build your pool to fit you and how would you use it 90% of the time. We think that our pool is the perfect size for us all to enjoy. It is a Spool aka Social Pool, however it is enjoyed by all including the grand kids, yes they will grow up and want to do diving and all but they just have to know that they can't do that stuff in our pool.:cheers:

Brian has some excellent points. I wish I would have had TFP and all of the helpful people when we had our first pool installed. There are a lot of "little" details that can really make the difference between a wonderful experience, and a "chore" when it comes to owning a pool. So it really helps to at least consider what other people have experienced. I was very lucky, and had a PB that took the time to go through most of those items before we started, but he still missed a couple things on his list. And I'm sure as time goes on, and we actually get to use our new toy, I'll find more. I am wishing I had thought more about my steps, but they are exactly the same height/tread width as our old pool, so when we finalized the design, we never gave them another thought.

One thing that I think is critical, is to build what you want, and what you think/know will fit how you will be using the pool. As an example, in our first pool, it was pretty small, and short. Knowing nothing about pools, we went with our PB's suggestion of a 3.5-6' depth. This was fine for me, but the rest of the family is not as vertically blessed as I am, so half the pool seemed to never get used except for the girls to float and get tans on top of the water. This was great for me, as I always had an uncrowded spot to go..;) Now fast forward 20+ years, and we have the opportunity to do it again. This time, we went 3-5' depth. Yes, those kids are grown, but now they are bringing the grandkids to play, and they are not any taller. This is obviously the opposite of what most will suggest, but it's what seems like will work the best for our needs. (And naturally, this generation is going to want the opposite!)

I doubt any pool is absolute perfection, as it is a fairly complicated system, filled with compromises (and water) but the more it "fits" the easier it is to live with those things that aren't "perfect".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would also add - measure out the size of the pool on the interior of your house. I laid out a 22 1/2 x 50' pool in my backyard initially and it didn't give me an appreciation of the size. I measured it off using interior rooms (more of an open concept floor plan) but then decided it was way too big. We ended up with 18 1/2 x 42' and it's perfect.

Reactions: Slaru
Complete newbie here. What is a tri jet seat? The PB's we're interviewing say that we can't have more than 5 or 6 jets (with a 3 hp variable speed pump). We really want to have some serious jet action and not sure if that few jets will do it. Especially when we would like some for our legs and/or feet.

I've seen threads like "what 1 thing would you have done different or what 1 thing could you not live without" but I wanted to capture all of the things I wish I knew or gave more consideration to before our build in hopes of helping others. While TFP helped me a ton along the way, I was less educated than I thought.

Let me add that we are very happy with our finished pool and our choices, but this has been my obsession for 6+ months so I have a lot of opinions. Next time will be different! If there is a next time ;)

Here are the things I wish I gave more thought to:

Pool Builder - I went against my gut and didn't choose the owner we meshed with the best. We went with local references based our decision on the quality of their builds. Big mistake! As much as can be put on plans for permitting, if you really want to have your influence on the build and the essentials of design, it is a much more fluid process than we expected. Working with our PB on our preferences and desired changes was a nightmare. Advice: GO WITH YOUR GUT AND THE OWNER YOU CAN SEE YOURSELF INVITING OVER FOR A SWIM. OBVIOUSLY STILL ENSURE QUALITY OF WORK THROUGH VISITING POOLS AND REFERENCES.

Size - this was one area where TFP and my research convinced me we needed a bigger pool. I tend to agree with the "no one wishes they had a smaller pool", but we could have gone smaller and been just as happy. We started at 15x30 and now have a 17.5x34 pool (before a 7x11 sunshelf). Our pool is big by our area's standards. Advice: SELECT A SIZE THAT WORKS FOR YOUR FAMILY (NOW AND LATER) AND FITS YOUR HOME/NEIGHBORHOOD

Depth/sports or play pool style and size - We went with 3.5'/5'/4' sports pool. We love the style but this puts much of the pool between 4 and 5 feet. You will see mixed reviews on this site, but I believe that's an odd depth. We really only have 2' of 3.5' depth as the slopes start almost immediately. I wish we had more of a flat shallow end, even if it meant a steeper slope. This is all driven by how long your pool is. If we went 40+ feet long, we would have had more flexibility. Advice: CONSIDER ALL DEPTHS OF YOUR POOL AND REVIEW THE PB'S SLOPE/DEPTH PROFILE PLANS BEFORE DIG.

Steps -We only have 3 steps to our 3.5' shallow end. That means our risers are 12", the max allowable by code. We are young and active and they are fine for us but they are less accommodating for others - elders and young children. Also, our step widths are 18" for the 1st step and 12" for all others. Having them a little wider for the second step and beyond would make them more usable for seating. Advice: GO WITH A 3.5' SHALLOW END AND CONSIDER 4 STEPS WITH 10" RISERS

Sunshelf depth - we were convinced by the PB to go with a 6" standard depth so it could fit with our first step. We were told that this is the appropriate depth to have the bubblers work as desired, which was not the case at all. In hindsight we should have pushed harder for the desired 9-10" depth and added a step into the shelf. Advice: STICK TO YOUR GUNS AS TO YOUR DESIRED DEPTH

Feature Pump - if you have any water features, GO WITH A FEATURE PUMP. it's cheap in the grand scheme of your build and will make everything so much more flexible to use.

Plumbing - I didn't know enough about pool plumbing when we started and relied on the PB as the expert. We didn't think to go over how we expected to use the pool. Specifically, we don't want the spa spillover on all the time and would also like the spa to be able to retain heated water while we use the pool with water circulation to the returns and suction to the skimmer. Both of these desired methods of use require a different plumbing setup. Advice: INVEST IN RESEARCHING HOW POOL PLUMBING WORKS, REVIEW YOUR PLANS, AND DISCUSS YOUR METHODS OF USE WITH YOUR PB

Lighting - TFP was very helpful here to think about best light placement. One thing that I think was unnecessary was moving our shelf globrite to the side of our shelf to avoid the light in the eyes of spa users directly across the pool. It turns out they are not that bright and having the light on the side doesn't distribute the light evenly across our shelf. In hindsight we should have kept it centered pointed away from the house. Advice: DONT OVERTHINK LIGHTING UNLESS YOU ARE AN AVID OLYMPIC SWIMMER OR HAVE SENSITIVE EYES. ALSO IF ADDING AUTOMATION, PUT POOL, SHELF, AND SPA LIGHTS ON SEPARATE SWITCHES FOR MORE CONTROL.

Marker tile - If you are using marker tile on steps, benches and/or shelfs, be sure to discuss if grout is going to be used, and if so, what color. Be sure it will blend into your finish color. If possible, leave them ungrouted and use the finish to fill in the tile voids for a consistent finish look. This was such a small detail we overlooked but was the biggest mistake we made. Our PB used dark grey grout on subway style marker tile and we have a white based plaster. It looks like our tiles have dirt and mold in between each tile in a brand new pool. We are actually having our PB refinish our pool, partially because of this issue. Advice: DISCUSS GROUT SELECTION WITH PB. YOUR SPA AND MARKER GROUT DOESNT NEED TO MATCH.

Detailed design choices - We either overlooked a lot of the specifics or the PB didn't consult with us on our preferences. For example, tile grout, number of steps, bubbler location, bubbler plumbing/control, exact equipment pad location, etc. Advice: GO OVER ALL OF THE DETAILS WITH YOUR PB. ALL OF THEM!

Other thoughts:
- GET A REAL OVERFLOW LINE (IN THE SIDE OT THE POOL WALL) THAT ACTUALLY DRAINS SOMEWHERE

- ADD THE AUTOFILL FEATURE IF YOU ARE IN AN AREA THAT WILL EXPERIENCE A LOT OF EVAPORATION

- GET AUTOMATION AND THE APP TO CONTROL FROM YOUR PHONE OR TABLET. ITS SO EASY!

- IF YOU ARE BUILDING A SPA, BUILD A TRI JET SEAT AND CONSIDER JETS FOR YOUR LEGS.

- WE CONSIDERED A BLOWER FOR THE SPA AND DECIDED AGAINST IT. IT HAS PLENTY OF BUBBLES AND PRESSURE WITH 8 JETS ON A ~70 FOOT PLUMBING RUN. NO NEED FOR IT AS WE HAVE 3 VENTURI JETS.

- SLIGHTLY CONTRASTING COPING WOULD HAVE PROBABLY LOOKED NICER THAN BLENDING WITH OUR DECK

- CONTRASTING WATERLINE TILE WOULD HAVE PROBABLY LOOKED BETTER BUT MAY HAVE BEEN HARDER TO MAINTAIN. We matched our waterline tile to our decking for an infinity look. The lighter color picks up all of the debris, bugs, etc at the waterline. But on the positive side, calcium and water marks don't show as easily.

I am so thankful to come across your post. We are meeting with our builder on Wednesday. The plan is for a 18x34 vinyl.. play bottom (wedge center- no flat spot) 3.5 - 5.5 -4 depths with roman step entry at both ends. You feel the slope keeps your pool at mostly 4 & 5 ft? We considered going up to 36 ft length. I would love to see a pic of your pool. Thanks.

Complete newbie here. What is a tri jet seat? The PB's we're interviewing say that we can't have more than 5 or 6 jets (with a 3 hp variable speed pump). We really want to have some serious jet action and not sure if that few jets will do it. Especially when we would like some for our legs and/or feet.
Did you ever figure out what this is? I have the same question.

Did you ever figure out what this is? I have the same question.

We have one of these in our spa. Its just a triple jet manifold, that will act like a back massager. Here is a pic during the install:

Our pool isnt done yet so I can't tell you how well it works, but it does look like it will be great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.