All In!

h20yeah!

May 15, 2023
Indiana
Hello Everyone,
I've found this forum to be extremely helpful already in the initial process of building the pool as well as switching to saltwater. Our home came with a smaller AGP that was chlorine and I was meticulous in maintaining it. This is our first experience with saltwater. We did all the work ourselves to get the pool built and plumbed. I love a challenge but the ground prep to get everything right about killed me, ha. Not to mention the weather not always working in my favor. Just ordered the TF-Pro Salt kit so I've only taken readings with the strips that came in my start-up kit. 12 - 40lb bags of salt added and dissolved, 2lb saltwater shock added, 1lb of granular stabilizer in the skimmer currently. I've had the SWG running for over 24hrs but just turned it off. Knowing these strips aren't accurate I hope I haven't thrown my water balance off already.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP!!!

Add 5ppm of chlorine a day until you get your test kit and don't add anything more.

Post up your test results and we'll help you get square...

Reactions: h20yeah!
Download PoolMath. Configure your pool. Then you can use the "Effects of Adding" to determine how much for 5ppm

Link-->PoolMath
I have the app but unsure which chemical to select. I have 4 new 128oz bottles of 'Swim Shock' liquid chlorinating chemical left from our previous pool. The active ingredients are
  • Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5%
  • OTHER INGREDIENTS: 87.5%
  • Available Chlorine: 15%
If I should use something other than this I'm fine with that, just let me know. Thank you

party GIF

Reactions: h20yeah!
I have the app but unsure which chemical to select.
in the app, bleach = chlorine, chlorine = bleach. You want to select bleach. I'll never understand why companies like to label it "shock" instead of just what it is. Marketing gimmicks I guess, and I've got a marketing degree :rolleyes: This predates me, but I believe it goes back to the original BBB method.

I have the app but unsure which chemical to select. I have 4 new 128oz bottles of 'Swim Shock' liquid chlorinating chemical left from our previous pool. The active ingredients are
  • Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5%
  • OTHER INGREDIENTS: 87.5%
  • Available Chlorine: 15%
If I should use something other than this I'm fine with that, just let me know. Thank you
Select "Bleach" and enter 12.5 for %. Adjust volume until you see it say that it will raise FC 5ppm.

II have 4 new 128oz bottles of 'Swim Shock' liquid chlorinating chemical left from our previous pool.
btw, new is a relative term. There should be a printed code on the chlorine "shock" bottles. If the numbers don't start with 23, they're not "new" anymore.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support