Alkalinity Test Question

Craig

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2007
Staten Island NY
Good morning.

Per my recent test, my alkalinity is at 130 ppm and I am in the process of bringing it down to 110 with muriatic acid and aeration but I have a question about my testing. I have a brand new TF-100 Test kit that is stored properly (inside house). When I performed the test I filled the test tube to 25 ml added 2 drops of R-0007 swirled added 5 drops of R-0008 swirled and the water barely turned green. I then added the R-0009 one drop at a time and the intensity of the red leveled out at 130 ppm.

I'm concerned about the water barely turning green when I added the R-0008 regent. My 11 years of pool maintenance and previous TF-100 test kits never yielded such results. Historically the water turned a dark green before adding the R-0009 regent.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

CY 30
FC 5
CC 0
TA 150
PH 7.2
Calcium 500

My test doesn't get very dark green either. It's not really important how green it gets, it's that you're able to discern the color change. I still get a nice deep red/pink color. You could try to add an extra drop or two of the R-0008 but it's unlikely to make much difference. I don't believe the reagent composition has changed, but that may be a question for Taylor and/or tftestkit owner. I'll ping them on this thread.

Thank you. I did try an additional drop of the R-0008 just to see and it did not change the color. I wasn't really expecting good results by doing this because I assumed it would skew the results, i.e. how many drops of R-0009 would be required. Based on your response, it sounds like this does not matter. Is that true? I was concerned the reagent or dropper was bad?

Hey! Mine does not turn dark green when adding the R-0008. The darker the green does not indicate the reagent is more effective. All the reagents are run through Taylor Technologies QA department. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at 919-528-1454 if you want to discuss further. Taylor also makes an Alkalinity standard that you can. test your reagents and/or your testing methods against.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.