Jun 8, 2019
Ohio
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Tested water.
PH. 7.2
TA 120
Added baking soda yesterday since TA was 80..now its 120? I'm using a good taylor testing kit. Am I doing something wrong? How can I get my TA down without plummeting my PH?? Any advice appreciated..thanks in advance.

Tested water.
PH. 7.2
TA 120
Added baking soda yesterday since TA was 80..now its 120? I'm using a good taylor testing kit. Am I doing something wrong? How can I get my TA down without plummeting my PH?? Any advice appreciated..thanks in advance.
Do nothing.

The range for TA is 50-90+. Are you at 90+? Yes. Done. No need to fuss any further. There was no need to fuss initially, either, but we can't turn back the clock. The pH will rise again,. and when you lower it with acid, you'll lower the TA some more.

Currently pH is 7.2. That's within the 7.2-7.8 range, so leave it alone, too.

Do nothing.

The range for TA is 50-90+. Are you at 90+? Yes. Done. No need to fuss any further. There was no need to fuss initially, either, but we can't turn back the clock. The pH will rise again,. and when you lower it with acid, you'll lower the TA some more.

Currently pH is 7.2. That's within the 7.2-7.8 range, so leave it alone, too.
Thank you :) I'll get this hopefully by the end of the pool season:)

Amy-I had a similar situation except I was lowering TA.

Was at 100 TA. 1st does of muratic acid brought me to 90. Started aerating but rather than using spa spillover, I decided to use my spitters which are metal.

When PH got back to 7.8 added more muratic acid, waited 30 mins, and retested. TA went back to 100 ?.

I’m no chemist, but apparently using my spitters is not a good way to aerate.

Back to using spillover to aerate.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.