Alkalinity Question

digger0713

Sep 8, 2015
Brownstown/Michigan
I have been monitoring my pool water everyday with an approved testing kit and the PH of my pool has been sitting steady at 7.4 for the last three days which is fine, but my total alkalinity has continued to rise everyday. My last three readings are 151, 155, 167. I know looking through this website it says to not worry about lowering the TA just to reach a target number and only lower if you have the risk for scaling or the PH is rising. I have neither of these problems at the moment and since I have a vinyl lined above ground pool, do I need to worry about any of this? I'm nervous the high number is going to cause an unwanted issue for me. I know low total alkalinity can be bad, but what about high in my situation? Any help and information would be appreciated. Thanks.

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
TA generally isn't going to rise quickly without a pH increase or the addition of high TA replacement water. I suspect your pH has crept up just a hair that can't be easily measured, and between that and the accuracy of the test you really aren't seeing much if any change in TA.

Don't worry about it. If your pH is relatively steady, you can start testing TA weekly and just concentrate on pH and chlorine on your daily tests

digger0713

Sep 8, 2015
Brownstown/Michigan
Thank you. My PH has been relatively steady and I've only had to add chlorine every 2-3 days so everything is going good with the pool. I just see that higher than normal number and get nervous. I don't want to damage my pool, equipment, or mess my water chemistry up badly. This site has made it much easier and less stressful to manage my pool.

digger0713

Sep 8, 2015
Brownstown/Michigan
Yes it is Richard. It's a Lamotte Color Q 7 Pro 2056 test kit. I really like it and it probably is just the error margin. You guys don't seem too concerned over my numbers so I'm not going to stress over them either.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Yeah, your numbers are fine. The LaMotte may report those numbers to you but it has nowhere near that precision. + or - 10 ppm on a good day is about the best you can expect. Even then, that is just fine for the type of TA control that we monitor.

digger0713

Sep 8, 2015
Brownstown/Michigan
Good to know. Thanks for all the help. I was not really accounting for error margin + and - and that would explain a lot. Makes me feel better about things. You guys have eliminated my need to depend on the pool store and I'm flying solo for the first time on my own and loving it. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.