Alkalinity Calculations

Daveacksh

Aug 11, 2022
Montreal
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi,

Could someone please explain (by showing me the math) how this is actually calculated. Ex. If my pool (41000L) has a TA of 104ppm and I want to increase it to 150ppm, the calculators say I need 3.3Kg of Sodium bicarbonate. HOW IS THIS CALCULATED? Thank you.

OR why 680g/37854L pool will raise by 10ppm.

You need to know that TA gets measured in units of CaCO3, which has a molar weight of 100g/mol. Sodium Bicarbonate is NaHCO3 with a molar weight of 84g/mol.

If you add 680g of Bicarb to 37854 litres of water, you have 680g/(37854l x 84g/mol) = 0.00021389 mol/l of carbonates in your pool. Multiply with 100g/mol and with 1000 (to turn g into mg) and divide by 2 (CO32- has two charges) and you get 10.7 mg CaCO3 / litre, which we call 10.7ppm.

Then you need to consider the various carbonate equilibriums and that only HCO3- and CO32- contribute to TA (the first one single, the second one double), but not H2CO3 or dissolved CO2 as they have no charge, which is where a pH dependency comes in and a slight correction to the 10.7, but at pool pH most of the carbonates are HCO3- and the correction is small. (EDIT: Actually, the pH shouldn't even matter because what's missing in HCO3- and CO32- will be compensated by a corresponding number of reduced H+, which contributes with a negative sign to TA.)

Last edited:
Then you need to consider the various carbonate equilibriums and that only HCO3- and CO32- contribute to TA (the first one single, the second one double), but not H2CO3 or dissolved CO2 as they have no charge, which is where a pH dependency comes in and a slight correction to the 10.7, but at pool pH most of the carbonates are HCO3- and the correction is small.
Since it is all bicarbonate added, no corrections are needed.

If some becomes H2CO3, it has to take a hydrogen ion, which maintains the same alkalinity.

HCO3- + H+ --> H2CO3

Since it is all bicarbonate added, no corrections are needed.

If some becomes H2CO3, it has to take a hydrogen ion, which maintains the same alkalinity.

HCO3- + H+ --> H2CO3

Thanks, James. I had (probably while you were typing your reply) come to the same conclusion and added an EDIT to my post.

Reactions: JamesW
You need to know that TA gets measured in units of CaCO3, which has a molar weight of 100g/mol. Sodium Bicarbonate is NaHCO3 with a molar weight of 84g/mol.

If you add 680g of Bicarb to 37854 litres of water, you have 680g/(37854l x 84g/mol) = 0.00021389 mol/l of carbonates in your pool. Multiply with 100g/mol and with 1000 (to turn g into mg) and divide by 2 (CO32- has two charges) and you get 10.7 mg CaCO3 / litre, which we call 10.7ppm.

Then you need to consider the various carbonate equilibriums and that only HCO3- and CO32- contribute to TA (the first one single, the second one double), but not H2CO3 or dissolved CO2 as they have no charge, which is where a pH dependency comes in and a slight correction to the 10.7, but at pool pH most of the carbonates are HCO3- and the correction is small. (EDIT: Actually, the pH shouldn't even matter because what's missing in HCO3- and CO32- will be compensated by a corresponding number of reduced H+, which contributes with a negative sign to TA.)
THANK YOU! I still don't get why it should matter that the carbonate ion has a -2 charge. In your calculation, you convert mol/L of sodium bicarbonate into mg/L of calcium carbonate by using the ratio of their molar masses (which I understand). Why divide by 2?

Because TA basically counts how many molecules in the water can accept a proton. And a carbonate ion can accept two protons.

You would have two add (in moles) only half the amount of CaCO3 to get the the same TA as when adding Bicarb. And your unit of measure for TA is how much CaCO3 would have given you the same TA.

You would have two add (in moles) only half the amount of CaCO3 to get the the same TA as when adding Bicarb. And your unit of measure for TA is how much CaCO3 would have given you the same TA.
OK so it isn't simply ppm of CaCO3, it is ppm of "carbonate-as-a-base" as it were, and the carbonate ion is dibasic. Thank you very much for the clarification.

OK so it isn't simply ppm of CaCO3, it is ppm of "carbonate-as-a-base" as it were, and the carbonate ion is dibasic. Thank you very much for the clarification.
That's at least how I made sense of it when I dived into pool chemistry. But I think that's the right angle to look at it...

Reactions: Daveacksh

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.