George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So i know it is important to keep your FC replenshed by either manually adding chlorine or a SWG to meet the daily FC demand and also to use LC tp SLAM twhen you need to eliminate algae. My question is there any value or harm in adding an algecide to a balanced pool as an algae preventative?

Hi George

Most algaecides contain copper which is detrimental to plaster and vinyl pool surfaces. It causes ugly stains which are impossible to remove. Many a beautiful and expensive pool plaster job or liner have been ruined by it.
It's also the cause of blonde haired swimmers turning green.

I wouldnt say that the above side effects provide any benefit or value from using algaecide, balanced or not.

The only TFP recommendation for algaecide is to use Polyquat 60 during closing of the pool for winter.

At the end of the day all anyone at TFP can do is provide the facts of algae prevention. With that knowledge in hand, if they still decide to add algaecide,
then that is entirely their decision and no one here is going to endorse it.

Every algaecide I've seen in stores has either copper compounds or ammonium compounds. Copper stains pools, hair, clothes, etc. Ammonium compounds are broken down by chlorine. So one chemical is essentially an organic waste product you add another chemical to destroy, the other will turn your pool and everything that goes in it green.

If you take nothing else from TFP, learn to look at the labels, see what's in each product, and what the ingredients do. I learned the hard way, dumping "clarifier" in hoping for a miracle. No ingredients listed, so it's snake oil and voodoo as far as I'm concerned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.