MJuric

Aug 19, 2016
Byron, Il
I've had this pool for ~6 years, liner is new a couple years ago. Each year I seem to have more and more problems with what I'm assuming is algae. Water is clear, but unless I vacuum every day I get a green film on bottom and sides and eventually, couple days, clumps of the stuff.

I was under the impression that a SLAM would take care of this but after reading a couple posts here, maybe not.

There were posts about cleaning skimmers, filters...well lots of things.

Is there a "Kill the algae" instruction set on here somewhere like there is for SLAM and other pool care?

Thank You,

The SLAM Process is how we kill and remove algae here on the TFP forum. No amount of filter or skimmer cleaning will do it. But after the SLAM is completed (passed all 3 criteria) we must continue to test and maintain the proper FC-to-CYA balance to avoid future algae outbreaks. For that we use the FC/CYA Levels. If you have concerns about your chemistry you're welcome to post a full set of water test results. We'll be glad to review them.

Reactions: Donldson
Follow the SLAM Process - this kills algae. the Vacuuming and filter will capture the dead algae.
It is important that we see your full set of test data as certain things must be in place before SLAMMING.
One is your CYA should be in the 30-40 range. You can have it higher, it just means more liquid chlorine needs to be used
Second is your pH should be in the low 7's
Third - plan to go buy at least 10 gals of liquid chlorine (LC) to start. We need your volume of your pool to calculate.
You will have lots of support through this process so ask any questions you have.
Also post a picture of your water now so we see what we are starting with.

Follow the SLAM Process - this kills algae. the Vacuuming and filter will capture the dead algae.
It is important that we see your full set of test data as certain things must be in place before SLAMMING.
One is your CYA should be in the 30-40 range. You can have it higher, it just means more liquid chlorine needs to be used
Second is your pH should be in the low 7's
Third - plan to go buy at least 10 gals of liquid chlorine (LC) to start. We need your volume of your pool to calculate.
You will have lots of support through this process so ask any questions you have.
Also post a picture of your water now so we see what we are starting with.
Ok I'll go thru the SLAM again and check everything. Just does not seem to be doing the trick this time.

Ok I'll go thru the SLAM again and check everything. Just does not seem to be doing the trick this time.
The SLAM process does work - there are many testaments on the forum. It is a process and you have to see it through. It could be days or week or more depending on your starting issue.
Also, you have to be consistent with your daily maintenance after you finish a SLAM.

What would cause you PH to spike? I typically don't check PH religiously. I checked it this spring when I SLAM'd it and adjusted it to ~7.2-7.3. I checked it a few times since then and it stayed in the same range. Today when preparing to SLAM it was higher than I have ever seen it. I was using a standard test kit that stopped at 8.2. I added some PH down to lower it, tested several hours later and it is still 8.2+. I though something might be wrong with the test kit so I got some cheap test strips to verify and the strips concur, way high.

This had to happen pretty quickly because I probably checked it less than a month ago and it was fine. We added water a couple times, but that would mean our tap water was WAY WAY high as we only added an inch or so a couple times. We've had some rain lately as well.

Do you consistently maintain your chlorine level per the FC/CYA Levels?
Define "Consistently" :). I'm definitely guilty of not keeping it exactly at the correct level all the time and know that a few times I have left it to long and that's why the algae. However for the last couple years it seems the algae just grows. I even tried keeping the levels higher than recommended right after a SLAM and it still started coming back. Seems the only time it does not come back is when I maintain SLAM levels.

What would cause you PH to spike?
PH rises due to various reasons such as:
- Local source water pH
- Your current (and local water) TA level
- Aeration in the pool

How old are your test chemicals? If they are new from this season they should be fine as long as they were in a cool dry place.

Once you confirm algae, it's very important to follow the SLAM Process page to the letter until you complete the 3 passing criteria. If you have any questions along the way let us know.

Reactions: HermanTX
Define "Consistently" :). I'm definitely guilty of not keeping it exactly at the correct level all the time and know that a few times I have left it to long and that's why the algae.
I think most people here that have salt water chlorine generators test their water a couple times a week. Those without salt water chlorine generators typically add chlorine daily.

As mentioned previously, read the SLAM process page carefully and don't cut ANY corners. Otherwise, you will continue to fight algae all summer.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PH rises due to various reasons such as:
- Local source water pH
- Your current (and local water) TA level
- Aeration in the pool

How old are your test chemicals? If they are new from this season they should be fine as long as they were in a cool dry place.

Once you confirm algae, it's very important to follow the SLAM Process page to the letter until you complete the 3 passing criteria. If you have any questions along the way let us know.
Aeration is probably the issue. I've got one jet that probably needs to be redirected.

I printed the SLAM process out when we first moved here and have been following it ever since. My guess is that I've been fighting several things for the last couple years. Had a small leak so we regularly had to add water probably causing issues. Aeration issue. Not keeping chlorine levels stable enough. CYA on the low side contributing to the chlorine level issues.

When we first moved in the CYA level was over 100. I've been trying to keep it between 30 and 40 but adding water regular keeps dripping it below 30, burning if the Chlorine quickly and poof...algae.

Leak is fixed and I'm getting a solar blanket so water loss and adding should be far less.

I will move the jet. I've corrected PH and CYA, so we'll SLAM again and see if that works.

Thanks all.

Still struggling with this.

I went thru the SLAM process again and thought I was being very conservative. Left it at SLAM levels for a couple days after having a success over night drop test. I let the levels drop back down to normal levels. Didn't vacuum for three four days and the attached pictures are what I had. I put in before vacuum and after. Water is clear. You can see a whole lot of stuff on the bottom and especially in the corners. I did a vacuum pass to show the "Before and After" in the dirty pictures. Maybe this is just "Normal Pollen and dirt"? If so that would mean I would need to vacuum every other day.

Also still having PH problems. I dropped PH down to the normal 7.2-7.4 range prior to SLAM. Just checked it again and it's WAY high again. I added water only once and we had a decent rain but right now it's well above 8.2 so I'm not sure what is happening there. The current CYA is ~45 and I slammed at ~16-20 and FC was never below 3 until this AM after a heavy rain last night.

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_121244965-2.jpg
    IMG_20220724_121244965-2.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220724_121300255-2.jpg
    IMG_20220724_121300255-2.jpg
    889.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220724_122518183-2.jpg
    IMG_20220724_122518183-2.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220724_124332279-2.jpg
    IMG_20220724_124332279-2.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220724_124348905-2.jpg
    IMG_20220724_124348905-2.jpg
    868.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220724_124351771-2.jpg
    IMG_20220724_124351771-2.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 5
Maybe this is just "Normal Pollen and dirt"?
Perhaps, if you are passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Has it been windy there? As for the pH rising, I didn't mentioned earlier, but an elevated TA can also allow the pH to rise. What is your TA? Your region of the country often has a very high TA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.