Algae seems to reappear every afternoon with high CYA and FC

Sep 3, 2016
Austin, TX
Long time reader here after purchasing my TF-100 kit. Hit a snag with our pool and have been running into some stubborn wall algae the last month or so in this central Texas heat wave. Temps have been 100+ every afternoon last 30 days, so I didn't sweat my CYA being high but I'm wondering if that's the main issue even with high FC. PH and TA seem fine. Filter is ok I think, recently backwashed in the last 30 days.

When brushing every morning, the pool wall looks clean but by afternoon the algae is more visible and usually resistant to scrubbing. Here's my recent water test from yesterday afternoon:

CYA = ~ 90
FC = 13
CC = 3
TC = 16
TA = ~ 90
PH = 7.5

From years of reading this site, all I can come up with is draining the pool a bit each day, refilling and testing till I can get CYA down. Once I can get that down, might need to move to using liquid chlorine instead of reliant on our tabs in chlorinator and weekly shocks.

Thanks in advance!

From years of reading this site, all I can come up with is draining the pool a bit each day, refilling and testing till I can get CYA down. Once I can get that down, might need to move to using liquid chlorine instead of reliant on our tabs in chlorinator and weekly shocks.
100%! Tabs and weekly shocks are pool store techniques. Once you get the CYA lowered a bit, perhaps down to about 60-70, then you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm algae (very likely) and continue with a SLAM Process.

Reactions: jeffchap
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.