Algae??? Not sure

May 11, 2018
Lexington, KY
So twice this year I have had yellow on my liner mostly on the slope areas. The first time my chlorine was low and I just figured Algae but I also has some work done around the pool with digging and the other thought was that maybe clay fell in. This is the color that it looks like. So I scrubbed increased the chlorine and my chlorine was holding steady and CC went to zero.

I then just went away for 4 days this weekend and came back tested water and had really high chlorine in the 10 because I filled my triclor generator and turned it up a little so I would not have to worry. Then today, two days later after testing we removed the cover and bam yellow in different location but on the slope again. Is this actually possibly algae with the high chlorine levels?

I also tested again.
Results:
8/9/2021
FC 10.6
CC 0
PH 7.4

8/11/2021 (automatic chlorinator turned down back to normal)
FC 9
CC 0
PH 7.4
CYA 40

Thoughts?

ok just measured and added bleach
before adding:
FC: 12.5 10ml testing by the way
CC: 0

added 128oz of 10% bleach the app said 130oz.
The other thing I wanted to add it rained a lot while we were gone and of course every time it rains the spring tails are back.

Will try to test once sun is fully down and then in morning.

Will say losing a full 1 FC in 4 hours seems like something is up.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I keep the FC up to SLAM level or do you think it is ok to start backing it down?
So it was 17.5 yesterday morning, and this morning it was 12. 5.5 of FC is a bit more than we like to see lost in a 24 hr period. I would maintain the SLAM today, look everything over really well, then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test starting this evening.

FC 17.5
CC 0
Great. Hope you didn't add any chlorine after testing. Go to bed. Get up before sunrise and retest. Wishing you luck tomorrow!

Generally for OCLT, you should do your last dose 1/2 to 1 hour before sunset, keep pump running, then test after sundown and don't add anything else. Then get up before sunrise and test again. The difference is your overnight chlorine loss result.

Great. Hope you didn't add any chlorine after testing. Go to bed. Get up before sunrise and retest. Wishing you luck tomorrow!

Generally for OCLT, you should do your last dose 1/2 to 1 hour before sunset, keep pump running, then test after sundown and don't add anything else. Then get up before sunrise and test again. The difference is your overnight chlorine loss result.
Not sure where the sunset plays a role in OCLT. You can start the OCLT @9pm, just check and add if needed, then check 30 minutes later to know what you have. Then early am before the sun make sure pump runs 30 minutes prior to testing.

So regarding everything I have been doing and going through I read about mustard algae. Do you think this is what I had/have? I ask because this says after slam to raise my chlorine way up for 24 hours.

Whatever it was it was yellow/orange color

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.