Algae keeps coming back on Walls

May 24, 2017
Roseville,CA
Hi I recently fired my pool guy because he was doing a poor job. Chlorine was at 0 and algae was growing on walls and steps.

This past weekend I went inside the pool and scrubbed all the steps and walls and each corner, along with clean form the outside with a large brush. I then shocked the pool with 2 packets of shock substrate (packet said 1 per 10000 gallons).

Yesterday, Chlorine was 5-10, and CYA checked two weeks ago was 50, however, Algae has already started growing back on the steps and walls again. What else should I be doing?

What are you testing your water with?
You need to be following the SLAM Process process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop. This requires a FAS-DPD chlorine test.
After completing the SLAM, you then need to maintain adequate FC levels for your CYA level, according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

attachment.php

If CYA is 50, you need to raise FC to 20 and keep adding every few hours to keep it there until you've passed the three tests to ensure it's all gone. We call the process Shock Level And Maintain. Your two packets of "shock" might have beat the algae in one mild skirmish, but the war isn't over yet.

Once you get it cleared up 100%, then you could add some polyquat 60 algaecide. But algaecide works as a preventative not a cure in the same way that Lysol stops the spread of cold germs but drinking it won't cure a cold.

Thanks. I guess there is no easy way. Checked results again yesterday. CL was 3-6, Ph ~7.5, CH 300, Alk ~80-90, CYA had gone up to ~60-70. The shock that I added two packets off was trichlor probably raised the CYA.

I'll be out of town for 2 weeks. When I come back I'll start the SLAM process. Seems like I am looking at a major investment in liquid chlorine. Will it cheaper to drain the pool halfway at this time to lower the CYA?

Are you not using the FAS-DPD chlorine test? Replacing half the water will lower the CYA and the FC shock level, but then you will lose more chlorine to the Sun. Giving your location I might just follow the slam process at your current level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.