Algae issue already????

shawn1112

May 10, 2019
Chicago Burbs
Check my chemicals in my pool yesterday and notice algae starting to form again. In 17 years of owning a pool prior to last year I have had algae issues once. Last year in August we had an algae issue. Thought I had it under control when I closed to pool. Opened it last month and it was green. Took about a week of slamming to get it swimable and have kept my chlorine level on the safe high side to try and prevent it from starting again. I even did the mustard algae slam to be safe and replaced all my hoses and anything else that would have been in the water if it in fact was mustard algae. Followed the directions on here to a T.
I'm at a complete loss as to why this is happening.

FC 9
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 120
CH 225
CYA 60

Those test numbers are solid, and the increased FC is indicative of the recent increase you've done. The only thing I can think of is that somewhere/somehow there was still some algae in the pool when you stopped your last SLAM. Is your liner such that there are no wrinkles or folds? Did you examine behind a light if you have one? Was the ladder removed (or steps) as applicable? Just throwing some thoughts out there.

Reactions: shawn1112
Those test numbers are solid, and the increased FC is indicative of the recent increase you've done. The only thing I can think of is that somewhere/somehow there was still some algae in the pool when you stopped your last SLAM. Is your liner such that there are no wrinkles or folds? Did you examine behind a light if you have one? Was the ladder removed (or steps) as applicable? Just throwing some thoughts out there.
Absolutely no wrinkles at all, no light and I replaced the ladder as it was caked with algae from the year before.
I spent about 2hrs in the pool with goggles on looking for algae after the SLAM and dint see any traces at all.
I do have 1 very small algae stain on the floor. I tried everything to get it out and just figured my liner was permanently stained in that spot. Do you think that could be the cause and if so how would I get that stain out. I tried scrubbing by hand with a good brush and didnt do anything

I do have 1 very small algae stain on the floor.
If it's just a stain (residual discoloration), it should have no bearing on a repeat issue. You can try rubbing a puck on it for a short time to see if it makes any difference. Are you chlorinating with only pool chlorine (aka regular bleach) on a normal basis? Curious, did you happen to tear-down the filter during your last SLAM as well?

If it's just a stain (residual discoloration), it should have no bearing on a repeat issue. You can try rubbing a puck on it for a short time to see if it makes any difference. Are you chlorinating with only pool chlorine (aka regular bleach) on a normal basis? Curious, did you happen to tear-down the filter during your last SLAM as well?
Thanks will give the puck a try
I'm using standard liquid chlorine, should I switch to bleach?
Yes after the SLAM I tore down my earth filter and soaked the fingers in muriatic acid/water combo for 24hrs.
Rinsed them very good along with everything else.

I'm using standard liquid chlorine, should I switch to bleach?
Those are the same thing.

For the fingers, did you happen to give them a good TSP soaking before the acid? I know with cartridge filters, if you don't remove the typical oils and such first, the acid basically bonds junk to the filter reducing its effectiveness. May not be a factor in the emergance of algae, just curious.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.