Algae in the Confer stairs?

Pv2

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2013
south east Arizona
I have been losing FC at night and knew it was the stairs so started a SLAM last week while the water was warm enough to get in and wrestle with the darn thing. I use gallon jugs of sand set on three rails of capped 3/4 inch pvc to weight them down. I also left them in the pool all winter despite my intentions to take them out this year. I don't know how leaves can get inside but they manage!

I have had them up in the air and all drained out a dozen times - rolled around and shaken as good as I can, I even used a livestock syringe to inject bleach directly back into crevases and drain holes, but I am still losing 3 to 5 PPM of FC overnight.

Any ideas to clean the interior or will it eventually sanitize? I really don't want to dismantle and not even sure I can as they are put together with little wedges you hammer into place.

I love them, but am about ready to move them to the outside and use and old open backed ladder on the inside, at least it can be scrubbed!

Water is 75 to 78 degrees and sure looks beautiful

measurements:

FC 16 (try to keep it at 3-4 normally)
CC 0 (I got ONE reading of .5 to 1 right after the first day of rolling the stairs around - there was a lot of dust and gunk that came out)
pH 7.3 (when started last week)
TA 100 "
CH 130 "
CYA 40-45 (have backwashed and refilled once since measure)

I can just imagine the mess if I had filled them with sand! Yuck. OK It must be time for them to be on the outside and put the old ladder that can actually be cleaned into the water. I can't figure out a way to really clean them without buying some kind of container they would fit into and filling it with bleach. They are huge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.